Where The Wild Things Are | Teen Ink

Where The Wild Things Are MAG

November 5, 2009
By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
177 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson


I didn't know what to expect when I went to this film by Spike Jonze, based on the 1963 children's book. Approximately an hour and a half later, I found myself in tears. This is one of the most thought-provoking, entertaining, and intellectual movies I've seen all year.

The film revolves around a young boy named Max, a wild, lonely child of a single mother. Max has to deal with his uncaring sister, his mother looking for a date, and the school system telling him that one day everything around him will die. Although this movie is about a child, it is not a children's movie. Rather, it's a film about children, their experiences and imagination.

Max eventually decides enough is enough and runs away. After finding a small raft and sailing away from his troubles, he comes upon an island full of magnificent creatures – the Wild Things. After that, not much happens. Instead the film focuses on Max's interactions with the creatures. Some may not like this, but I saw it as a plus. I find that focus on character development and relationships is far more interesting than raw plot.

The film also has a nice even pace, making you forget that it's short. You'll be too caught up in the characters and their issues. For instance, Carol, the most featured Wild Thing, struggles with loneliness and ponders what happens after death, the status of his friendships, and his own mortality. Sound like a kiddie flick?

Jonze's direction is impec­cable, always keeping his audience fastened to their seats so they get to know the characters and their in-your-face, warm-hearted humor. The film does childhood justice and will get you feeling like a kid again.

As far as negatives, you could say the film is dark, but the director was going for that. The first 15 minutes feel forced. While the point is to show that Max perceives his life as lonely and depressing, it feels like the director is trying to make you relate to Max too quickly.

Overall, “Where the Wild Things Are” is fantastic. Accompanied by brilliant visuals, this character-driven story of ­loneliness, struggle, hardship, mortality, and family is an ­entertaining, funny, and thought-provoking ride.