World Trade Center | Teen Ink

World Trade Center

September 29, 2009
By Christopher.Amos BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Christopher.Amos BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

World Trade Center is a 2006 movie based on the true events that took place in New York City on September 11, 2001. It was directed by Oliver Stone and it starred Nicolas Cage, Michael Pena, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Maria Bello, and Michael Shannon. Cage plays the role of John McLoughlin, a New York City Port Authority Police Officer. Pena plays the role of another New York City Port Authority Police Officer, Will Jimeno.

On September 11, 2001, just another normal day in Manhattan, NY, New York City Port Authority Police Officers John McLoughlin and Will Jimeno see the enormous shadow of an airplane on the ground. They look up to see a commercial airliner flying low. They then look at the TV and see that an airplane has crashed into the north building of the World Trade Center. McLoughlin, Jimeno, and three other New York Police Officers rush to evacuate the north building on a bus. On the bus, they hear that the south tower has been hit as well, but they don't believe it. As they begin to walk towards the north tower, the buildings begin to rumble. The group runs into a nearby elevator in the south building, and was buried in the collapse of the south tower. Two of the officers were killed on the spot. McLoughlin, Jimeno, and the other officer, Dominick Pezzulo, were knocked out. Then, the north tower began to collapse. McLoughlin and Jimeno survived but Pezzulo died within minutes with major wounds. Hours later, two United States Marines, Dave Karnes and Jason Thomas, find Jimeno and McLoughlin and later dig them out of all the rubble. Afterward, the two officers are rushed to the hospital and undergo surgery with their families by their sides. Finally, two years later, there is a celebration for the two surviving heroes.

This movie made me very proud of what New York police officers, paramedics, and firefighters had to go through on that day. These people are real heroes for going into the World Trade Center that day not knowing if they would ever make it out alive.

I think the PG-13 rating for the movie was a good choice. The movie was given this rating because of terrorist acts, violence, and language. Nicolas Cage and Michael Pena did a great job on reenacting on what John McLoughlin and Will Jimeno did on that day. Oliver Stone really did an excellent job on making sure the events corresponded to what happened on September 11, 2001 on New York City. The plot was accurate and the storyline was great.

Overall I think that the movie World Trade Center was a great action movie. I recommend that everyone sees it if they ever get a chance to.