Let's Play a Game - The Batman Review | Teen Ink

Let's Play a Game - The Batman Review

By rmoroz24 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
rmoroz24 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

“Let’s play a Game.”  This phrase is constantly used in the movie, The Batman, directed by Matt Reeves, which presents a story of Batman who plays the role of a clever detective that seemingly is playing an endless game.  The “game” is created by a criminal called the Riddler that tries to uncover the truth about the city by murdering city representatives.  The story takes place in Gotham City, his hometown, where he strives to protect his city.  Although the movie earned over $254 million, was it overpromoted?  Yes.  The seemingly endless movie that was almost 3 hours long didn’t seem to keep me at the edge of my seat.  I think many people even left the movie theater because of the lack of action throughout the movie.  Even though the movie could have been better produced, it still left me an interesting puzzle to solve.  However, I became less and less interested as the movie went along because of these things.  Although, the lack of stunning imaging or action played a huge role on my rating though.  The Batman is a movie that has a shortage of stunning action scenes and plot.  

Batman is summoned by a bright light in the sky in the shape of a bat warning criminals that he might catch them and stop them.  This is true when in one of the first scenes of the movie, Batman confronts a gang of people who wanted to attack a defenseless man.  Batman comes out of the shadows taking on at least 7 to 8 of them without problem.  Soon after, he is brought up as a detective to try to figure out the murder of the mayor.  The killer called himself the Riddler and left clues on the crime scene.  The Riddler said he wanted to show Gotham City the real truth behind politics, and how the mayor was corrupt.  The Riddler goes on to kill more people which draws in Batman even more.  Whenever the Riddler kills someone who he claims to be corrupt, the clues left after the murder don’t make sense and are very repetitive.  There is also little to no action taking part in the movie other than when Batman tries to stop different murders or attacks on the city.  This leaves the quality of viewing poor as well as a weak plot.  

In conclusion, The Batman was not a thriller as it was supposed to be.  Although it made a lot of money in the opening weekend, it is just because of the name of the movie.  The weak plot and lack of action left a grueling 3 hours of sitting and waiting for the movie to end.  I give this movie a 4 out of 10 because the movie only interested me during the times that there was action.