American Son: A Divorced Couple Meets After the Disappearance of Their Biracial Son | Teen Ink

American Son: A Divorced Couple Meets After the Disappearance of Their Biracial Son

By aliu23 PLATINUM, Simsbury, Connecticut
aliu23 PLATINUM, Simsbury, Connecticut

"American Son" centers around the conflicts between Kandra and Scott. Their argument reaches maximum intensity at three major plot points – “figuring out identity” vs. “wasting potential”, “depressed” vs. “offensive” and “apologizing” vs. “making excuses”. Through presenting the argument between Kendra and Scott, American Son brings attention to different views of Black citizens and White citizens, suggesting that the differences and misunderstandings between the two races are what culminates in the racial issues in present society. Watching the dispute between the estranged couple, the audience is propelled to reflect upon the injustices that exist in society.

On page 17, Scott claims that the last time Jamal visited him, he was dressed like a “gangster” in “baggy pants, cornrows” and walked in that “stupid, loping, surly walk he’s suddenly developed.” Scott is highly critical of his son’s presentation of himself. Kendra protests that Jamal is “just trying to figure out who he is,” that his physical change reflects the inward struggles he is going through. Scott disagrees and states that he cannot see his son – who has scored 1470 on his SAT and has accomplished so much – wasting his potential.

As they struggle to find Jamal continues, the divorced couple meets another major disagreement. As an FBI agent, Scott is horrified when Officer Larkin shows him a picture of Jamal’s bumper sticker that says “shoot cops.” He finds the sticker extremely offensive and is especially offended that his own son is expressing opinions against his profession. Kendra explains that Jamal puts the bumper sticker on his car because “depressed.” As one of the only Black people in his community, Jamal is “going through a lot” and is bearing “immense pressure.” Scott fails to understand Kandra’s description of Jamal’s situation and insists that Jamal’s bumper sticker is extremely offensive. Kendra points out that a car driven by a White person in a Black community has a bumper sticker that is offensive toward Black people. Scott dismissed the incident as the action of one racist White person. Kendra responded by pointing out the difference between Scott’s reaction to a Black person being disrespectful and a White person being disrespectful.

As the divorced couple continued to hold opposite opinions on their son’s bumper sticker, their argument gradually turned into one of behavior toward police officers. Scott believes that Jamal needs to be polite and says that as an FBI agent, he would be pushed over the edge “especially if I [he] make[s] a warning stop and get some uppity __ lecturing me [him] about his rights.” Kendra is shocked that Scott would use the word “uppity” to describe the Black citizens. Scott states that Jamal cannot lapse into a life where he “makes excuses” for his behavior. Kendra disagrees that they are excuses and calls them apologies. She argues that Jamal cannot be “walking around apologizing for who he is.” Scott argues that when encountering the police, talking about Black Lives Matter would not help. Kendra objects and says that maybe the police need to hear them.

The differences between Kendra and Scott are reflective of the misunderstandings between Black citizens and White citizens. Regarding the same situation, they hold different opinions. They struggle to see where the other is coming from, and the play suggests that this misunderstanding culminates in racial issues in present society - the issue of identity, unequal treatment, and police brutality. In the 21st century, people struggle to realize their identity because of their skin color. People suffer from unequal treatment because of their different skin colors, and this is visible in police brutality. Just recently, in the summer of 2020, unjust police killings occurred. "American Son" is a resonant and illuminating film that deserves more appreciation from contemporary society.

Ultimately, what distinguishes American Son is the diverse perspectives it portrays through the conflict between two characters. Each character – Kendra, Scott, officer Larkin, and Lt. Stokes presents different views on race. Most starkly is the contrast between Kendra and Scott. Throughout the play, viewers find themselves swinging between the two characters. The fundamentally different background the two characters come from result in their radically different views on various aspects concerning their son. The reasonings of both characters are compelling and viewers find it difficult to choose aside. 

The struggle to decide a character to favor is a reason why "American Son" is incredibly compelling. I watched the play and read the script multiple times because I was fascinated by the depth of the play’s message and the amazing skills of its actors. Each time I watched the play, I felt like I was traveling an emotional umbilicus into the characters, arching into what it must feel like to be them at a Miami police station, struggling to find Jamal. I found the tone of the play intense, anxious, and miserable. I also noticed how the death of Jamal was withheld from the audience until the ending of the play. Perhaps the director tries to direct the focus on the argument between Kendra and Scott, and remove distractions that might be caused by the knowledge of Jamal’s death.

Injustice is entrenched in society, but it is imperative that effort is invested into solving those issues. Putting an end to injustices is challenging, but its stakes are high and its challenge makes it noteworthy and worthwhile.

Some spoilers may be present. Since its release in 2019, the movie "American Son" has recieved critical reviews from viewers and professional reviewers alike. Many comment that "a proficient cast is wasted" in the movie. However, critics of the movie may have overlooked the implications of the movie for a society living in the repercussions of slavery.