The Amazing Illusion of A Streetcar Named Desire | Teen Ink

The Amazing Illusion of A Streetcar Named Desire

November 11, 2019
By Christianp2119 BRONZE, Methuen, Massachusetts
Christianp2119 BRONZE, Methuen, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

      A Streetcar Named Desire, is everything from a tragedy to an adventure. A woman by the name of Blanche travels to New Orleans to find her sister she had not been in touch with for many years. The struggle to find herself again after a rough past life is an exciting plot. The movie also teaches a valuable lesson of desire and helping you realize that not all things are reality. Even though the movie may not seem as intriguing at first, the movie begins to grow on you as many different parts begin to sprout. 

     A Streetcar Named Desire, was directed by Tennessee Williams. The movie was made in 1951, with star actors Marlon Brando (Stanley), Vivien Leigh (Blanche), and Kim Hunter (Stella).The main character Stella had gone to New Orleans to find her sister after her family house is destroyed. She lives with her sister Stella who had previously run away from their family. As the movie continues, you learn many new things about Blanche and her past life. 

      Blanche had begun to settle in to her new life in New Orleans. She meets Stella's husband Stanley, who is an abusing man who hurts Stella. But Stella is carrying Stanley’s baby so Blanche tries to become friendly with him. Stanley is not fond of Blanche because she is a threat to his environment. Throughout the movie he continues to find the root cause of what happened to her that caused her to move in with Stella. One day, Stanley had over a few of his friends to play poker. Blanche had started to get feelings for Stanley’s friend Mitch. Stanley gets angry at Mitch for talking to Blanche and a controversy begins . From here the plot increases thoroughly as Blanches life problems begin to reveal and all hell breaks loose. 

      An important idea from the movie is illusion. All of the different characters in the movie have their own illusions, for example Blanche is illused by the dream of finding her million dollar man and trying to forget all of the terrible things that had occurred in her past life and the actions she committed. Stella is illused by her passionate love affair with Stanley and doesn’t realize the abusive and mistreating being he is. It is extremely interesting to me how in our everyday lives people have their own illusions as well and it causes them sometimes to be in their own little world. 

      I would highly recommend this movie. The ideas behind the movie create not only an interesting story to watch unfold, but also makes you think very deeply about the world around you. I would recommend that teenagers should watch this movie as well as adults because I feel that they will be able to understand this movie better than a younger viewer. The only problem that I had with the movie was the beginning half. The plot and the story was very up in the air and not clear. The movie begins very slowly with not a lot of action until the end. Even though in some cases it’s good but I didn’t like the idea of this. But if you are ever looking for a good old classic to watch on a Saturday night, I highly recommend, A Streetcar Named Desire.


The author's comments:

I would like you to consider my movie review for," A Streetcar Named Desire". Rated PG, 127 minutes. 

I love to watch movies with my friends and family. In my spare time I play Football and Lacrosse. I have a dog named Lulu, and my favorite class at school is History. 

This is a simultaneous submission