Whodunnit? | Teen Ink

Whodunnit?

By KatieMcCarthy724 BRONZE, Methuen, Massachusetts
KatieMcCarthy724 BRONZE, Methuen, Massachusetts

The Thin Man, a movie full of mystery, comedy, and unexpected moments, with five sequels, is a classic. The brilliant humor mixed with adventurous thrills, provides an amazing on screen experience. Expect to be taken on a journey, as the characters have priceless lines and always have a drink in hand. 

The Thin Man came out on May 25th, 1934 and was directed by W.S. Van Dyke. The movie stars William Powell as Nick Charles, and Myrna Loy as Nora Charles. It was filmed in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, produced by Hunt Stromberg, and was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture. 

We follow retired investigator, Nick Charles, and his wife, Nora, who return to New York on vacation and are caught in a mystery. When former client and inventor Clyde Wynant goes missing he also has fifty thousand dollars stolen from him. The culprit could be anybody from a stranger to someone close to him. The main characters, Nick and Nora, are pulled into the investigation and are determined to solve the murders of multiple people involved. 

Nick Charles is a very interesting and smart character in the film. He leaves his successful career as a private investigator and settles down in San Francisco with his wife Nora hoping to start a family. When people start disappearing, Nora insists they work on the case, mostly because she wants a taste of what her husband did for work. Throughout the film, his actions and lines seem to build the movie and he is presented as more and more of the main character and the most most important role. His wife, Nora, clearly presents her curious and adventurous characteristics. Many wouldn’t find any interest in murder investigations, but Nora Charles is the opposite. 

I would highly recommend this movie to any adult interested in murder mysteries and comedy. I enjoyed all of the unexpected twists and turns in the film, leaving me blind to what could happen next. You get to follow along in the movie and try to solve the mystery yourself as the characters do the same. I also really enjoyed that the movie wasn’t solely focused on the murders. We get to see a lot of the characters lives and who they are as people which adds so much more enjoyment to the movie than just a quick mystery with no density to it. The Thin Man was overall an incredible movie, and something I will definitely be watching again. 

Dear Editors:

I would like you to consider my movie review for "The Thin Man," Rated ages ten and up, 91 minutes.

I’m a huge fan of adventures and the outdoors, hiking is my absolute favorite activity. I appreciate good music, good food, and good people. I am currently a junior, and I’m a cashier at my local Market Basket. 

This is a simultaneous submission.