The Little Mermaid | Teen Ink

The Little Mermaid

May 1, 2019
By Hayleymajor19 BRONZE, Horton, Michigan
Hayleymajor19 BRONZE, Horton, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“The Little Mermaid” reveals many themes directed towards its young audience. It was directed by Ron Clements and John Musker and was released to theaters on November 17, 1989. While watching this movie, I picked up many lessons behind this animated musical. The movie begins by showing Ariel (Jodi Benson), a young mermaid with an adventurous side, swimming around where she shouldn't and even going to sea’s surface. King Triton (Kenneth Mars), Ariel’s father, forbids Ariel to do so and is very controlling of his daughters. Once above the sea surface, Ariel spots a prince on the boat and becomes intrigued with him and the world above water. Ariel goes to the terrible sea witch Ursula (Pat Carroll)  and makes a deal to have legs for three days in return for Ariel’s voice. In high hopes to fall in love with Prince Eric, she must get a “kiss of true love” from him to stay a human forever. If Ariel fails, she will belong to Ursula. Throughout the film, you will see problems arise and the ultimate choice that King Triton makes for Ariel. These choices such as Ariel deal with Ursula to go to land showed me how the grass isn't always greener on the other side. The animation was drawn beautifully and I even caught myself singing some of the catchy songs after watching the movie.

The movie’s plot and music were the main reasons I enjoyed this film. The film shows Ariel leaving behind her father, best friend, and underwater life all for her love at first sight. With the challenges Ariel has to face, I believe all ages can learn a powerful lesson and that is “watch what you wish for.”  My favorite scene in the movie was the kiss at the end and when Ariel tells her father that she loves him. The music in the background makes it even more beautiful and touching. I believe the songs that Ariel sing are an effective addition to the storyline. My favorite song was “Part of Your World” because it shows Ariels feeling toward the sea and how she is curious to explore. The best thing about the movie was the animation of the film. I thought the different setting had great detail and the characters matched their personality. I think the design of this movie paved ways for many other animated movies after it.

As far as weaknesses go, there were some parts I didn't like about the film. Because Ariel lost her voice she tried to seduce Prince Eric through body language. Because this movie is rated G, the main viewers of this film are children and I think it's important to send a message that women are more than just looks. I think young viewers could also pick up that it is okay to disobey your parents. Ariel does not listen to her father's rules such as swimming to the surface and going to Ursula. I think many Walt Disney films show that you need a man to be happy and for Ariel that meant risking everything. I don't think the directors intended to send these messages.  I think the directors' goals in this film were to show children to be true to themselves and that love conquers all.

    Overall, I believe “The Little Mermaid” is a movie everyone should watch. Without thinking to deep into it, I do believe it is a great movie and shows important themes. I rate it 4.5/5 stars because of the beautiful animation, songs, and plot. All together these elements tell a beautiful story that leaves the viewer thinking about different aspects of life.  I believe Ariel shows her audience risk-taking and the challenges you may have to overcome. Like Sebastian said, “Children have to be free to lead their own lives.”


The author's comments:

This was a film review on The little Mermaid.