Daddy's Home 2 | Teen Ink

Daddy's Home 2

By writer-kid35132 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
writer-kid35132 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Imagine you are kid in a family that lives with their step parent, but are always mad because ever Christmas they are can never be with both their real parents. Plus, to make everything more crazy the parents plan to combat this is to put both family in one big vacation house.  Well, Daddy’s Home 2 is exactly about that, it is a mixture of how a family that is so separated can come to together and try to make Christmas the best time of the year. This movie is targeted at kids, and it’s silly, stupid humor and easy to follow plot and dramatic heartwarming ending will make it your kids favorite holiday movie before the credits even role. The humor is stupid at times but kids would think it's the most funny movie of their life. Will Ferrell, also known for Elf, one of the great Holiday movies for kids, makes the humor super funny for kids because he draws in a more dramatic comedy that is not vulgar and is totally appropriate for your kids. But, they thrown in John Lithgow to be Will Ferrell's dad, a perfect pairing. Lithgow makes the movie appeal a to older adults that grew up watching his comedy. With the original, Daddy’s Home being a little on the boring side, I believe director Sean Anders hit Daddy’s Home 2 out of the park. It weaves itself perfectly into the 21th century so kids will get jokes that the parents might even miss.

The movie is about a family connected by kids that gets the idea to take a vacation as one huge family. This is done so, for Christmas the kids can experience what Christmas is like with both there real parents and their step parents. This huge house they rent is the source of all problems, located in California, the house makes the families problems start to really show as they are never more than 10 feet away from each other. The movie also perfectly brings in small sub-plots, like with Dusty, one of the parents in the film, and his relationship with his father. As well as a small little love story that centers around Dylan, Dusty’s son. This little plots make the movie always have something going on, making it have a more complex storyline them most box office comedies. These small plots also always give you something to laugh about.

I was never thinking twice about what just happened in the movie or why something was happening. Bringing the families together into one giant house for Christmas Vacation seems like a great idea but at the same time could not be worse. Lots of fights between the parents break out throughout the film which causes a lot of funny things to happen, some of which are very dumb and silly. A great example of this was when Dusty’s step-daughter and him fight over which temperature to kept the house at night. It shows how scared Dusty is to tell his daughter she can not keep the temperature at 85 degrees.  The movie is focus around the two families making Christmas as good as possible for there kids, and I believe the way it was written makes it a new age Christmas Classic that all kids can enjoy, because of its dramatic ending that will warm everyone's heart and leave them wanting to go out and spread the holiday joy. The modern family approach also really helps strengthen its place in today's society. With its relevant jokes about technology and social media, making it easy for kids to relate to. The plot is always full of problems or solutions, one thing can be ending while another is starting leaving you always thinking and entertainment.

A major factor in this movie was the humor, starring Will Ferrell, a huge comedian, makes this movie much more funny then it would have been. Will is one of the two dads in this movie and out of the two he is more emotional one. He cries all the time from even just being complimented about how he has a great heart. But also makes a lot of super stupid makes, like cutting down a cell phone town on accident and get elected making everyone watching laugh.  The humor is not just dumb little jokes. The movie has rich skits that flow into the plot naturally making all the events in the film seem logical. These skits also makes you laugh out loud knowing that could actually happen. I also loved that the characters all have there own traits and had there own jokes throughout the movie not just Will Ferrell taking all the light, you have Mel Gibson thrown in to portray a strong father than likes guns, and seeing other people fail. Also, Mark Wahlberg has some great jokes about always trying to live up to his father’s approval.  

Overall, Daddy’s Home 2 was an amazing film, full of entertainment. To me the movie was so good I could watch it again and still laugh out loud. I think that the way it was written and acted out will make it a new Classic for families with kids to watch during the Christmas Holiday, and I recommend no matter how old you are to watch it if you ever get the chance, it may just become one of your favorites too.