Th Adventures of Milo and Otis | Teen Ink

Th Adventures of Milo and Otis MAG

October 31, 2018
By macyemanner3 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
macyemanner3 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A narrated movie with a cat and a dog set in Japan sounds childlike in comparison to the recent box office hits with intense action and dramatic subjects. But “The Adventures of Milo and Otis,” originally titled “Koneko Monogatari,” has much more to offer if you look past its deceivingly naïve exterior.

With an entirely real-life animal cast, the story focuses on the friendship between a cat and a dog and their journey to get back to each other after the cat, Milo, gets lost in the countryside. The movie explores the theme of youthful friendship and has engaged a large demographic of viewers since 1986.

The beginning of the movie opens with an upbeat song, “Walk Outside,” by Dan Crow. This lyrics of this fun melody describe a “curious cat and a pug-nosed pup.” Scenes of farmland and forests fade in and out, but without further investigation, there is no distinction in establishing that this setting is in Japan, versus what I originally believed to be a farm in the United States. IMDb member, Andrew O’Brien, commented that “the cinematography  … captures the Japanese countryside beautifully, and the filmmakers show themselves to be masters of color and composition, depicting moments of true beauty such as the gentle trickling of water from a stalactite in a cave.” This statement rings true; the filmmakers’ attention to detail is astonishing.

The opening scene cuts to a barn where narrator, Dudley Moore, introduces viewers to Otis and a troublesome newborn kitten named Milo. All of the anthropomorphic characteristics of Milo, Otis, and the rest of the animals are chronicled by Dudley Moore. In an effort to enhance the movie and the otherwise silent actions of its animal characters, Moore acts not only as narrator, but as the inner monologue of all of the animals. He interprets their behavior with his own twist and makes exclamations similar to what would be expected if the animals actually could speak. I particularly enjoy this aspect of narration because we learn about the animals’ personalities, and keeps viewers invested in their story.

The adventure really begins when Milo is investigating a box sitting in the river next to a dock. His curiosity repeatedly gets him into trouble, and it does here as well. While sitting in the box, Milo becomes separated from the dock and the river’s current takes him downstream. Otis watches this occur and jumps into action, swimming after Milo in a vain attempt to get him back. This is how the majority of the story plays out – with Milo just out of Otis’s reach as the two experience adventures throughout the countryside.

Various animal side characters make appearances in the plot, including a problematic bear and an affectionate dear. Nearing the end of their journey, Milo and Otis each find a mate of their own – Joyce, a white cat, and Sondra, a French pug. After the two friends find their mates, they separate from each other and each have a litter of their own, raising them in Japan’s lush forests. With a satisfying full-circle ending, no confusion is left as to the fate of Milo and Otis.

I recommend “The Adventures of Milo and Otis” for children with a passion for animals. There are all types of species introduced in the film with a focus on farm animals. The important themes of adventure, curiosity, and companionship are incentives for adults to watch this movie as well – whether with their children or on their own.