Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

September 21, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is the third installment in the Harry Potter series and stays true to the adventures that takes place in the books. Although Harry looks forward to his third year at Hogwarts school of wizardry and witchcraft, he soon discovers that he's going to be in for a rough year when he the information about the newly escaped Sirius Black comes to Harry's attention. Sirius Black just escaped from Azkaban, which was a feat that had never been done before, and the entire world believes that his intentions are to find the boy who lived and take him out for once and for all. Because the only possible way to ensure that Hogwarts is truly safe is to have the school be guarded by Dementors, black spirit-like entities that make people feel like all the good in the world was sucked out and the guardians of Azkaban, Harry and his friends find themselves getting tormented by these mysterious creatures. Due to the fact that Dementors make people feel and remember their worst memories and feelings, Harry especially finds himself despising these so-called protectors. Seeing how miserable Harry is, the new defense against the dark arts teacher befriends Harry and helps him out as him and his friends journey through another action-packed, intense year at Hogwarts that includes new, exciting magic, some insight into Harry's parents past, an epic item called the Marauder's Map, and friendship rifts as Hermoine and Ron squabble with one another over Heromoine's cat harassing Ron's rat. 


 The movie is astonishing and the ending includes the science fiction-esque and tone that the books created and used as modes of transportation for the marvelous magic. The visual effects continue to elevate the movies into new heights and really make the audience be at Hogwarts and the wizarding world of Harry Potter. Although the ending might be a bit confusing for some, the film does its best to tie up all loose ends, but more than that, it suffices as a very watchable sequel that doesn't make the franchise flop, which happens to be a horrible feat that occurs with all too many movie franchises. 


 Professor Severus Snape has a fairly important role in the movie, and as one of the franchise's more interesting characters, this is absolutely a great thing, seeing as he adds scores more of stunning drama and fantastically developed symbols that help to make Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban the enticing thriller that it truly is. 

 While not only serving loyal fans who have read the books a hundred times, this movie appeals to all audiences as a wondrous choice and critics agree. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a high 91%, and they're known for giving science fiction/fantasy movies notably low scores. A whopping 96% of Google users liked the movie, which is the same amount as the first two. Simply put, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban continues to succeed by using the same formula that the first two did: wow with amazing actors, visually appeasing visual effects, and above all else, stay true to the books. 


The author's comments:

Simply put, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban continues to succeed by using the same formula that the first two did: wow with amazing actors, visually appeasing visual effects, and above all else, stay true to the books.