Blended | Teen Ink

Blended

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Blended is an absolutely fantastic movie that might be one of Adam Sandler's finest. Jim is a widowed father of three that does his best to serve his family and make them happy. The only problem is that his job at Dick's Sporting Goods doesn't pay too much and that all three of his children are daughters, and he isn't exactly an expert in parenting them. Because he married his beloved wife in college, Jim hasn't gone on a date since high school, which was about at least thirty years prior. Lauren is a recently divorced mother that does her best to raise her two teenage boys. Although both her and her ex-husband believe that boys need a father, the dad is never actually there for his kids and always makes incredible promises that he never fulfills. 

Both Jim and Lauren are pushed by friends to get back into the dating game, and they are set up by a friend on a blind date that goes horribly. Because of the catastrophic disaster, neither wants to ever be in the same room again, let alone be with the other person. However, fate and destiny works in weird ways, and Jim and Lauren both end up buying half of a vacation package to a luxurious resort in South Africa, without the other realizing. When they finally discover what happened in Africa, the children and parents are forced to share time together, as well as experience a slew of family activities together that will forever revolutionize their lives.  

Although most would assume that this movie is just a predictable, dumb comedy, the plot manages to provide laughs and brush up against deeper meanings, elucidate real themes, and show people the true meaning of what it means to be a family. The movie has some outstanding one-liners, as well as some truly hilarious scenes that are paired with subtle touches, like brilliant background music and perfectly timed ironic moments. Even though the visual effects of the movie aren't that mind-blowing, per say, the movie manages to capture the essence and beauty of Africa. The dialogue and interaction between characters is glorious and will make Adam Sandler fans cheer with joy. If Blended doesn't make viewers want to hop online and book an adventurous vacation to Africa, nothing will. 

If Blended doesn't make viewers want to hop online and book an adventurous vacation to Africa, nothing will.