Doctor Strange | Teen Ink

Doctor Strange

September 12, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Doctor Strange is a doctor turned wizard who manages to achieve everybody's dream: to be able to practice magic. Dr. Stephen Strange is a surgeon, and one of the best in the entire world, if not the greatest. However, Stephen is stubborn, arrogant, ignorant, and mostly spends all of his time focusing on his career, instead of the people that care about him most. As a surgeon that relies on careful precision and his genius intellect, hands are everything to this doctor. When a car crash forces Stephen to be deprived of his hands, his entire life is thrown upside, while robbing the once proud doctor everything he holds dear. After attempting to restore the use of his hands with orthodox medicine methods and nothing works, Strange must search untraditional cures, in an attempt to heal and cure his beloved hands. Because of some advice from a mysterious source, Doctor Strange goes on an incredible journey to Nepal, where he meets some even stranger folks that inform him that magic is very real and capable of being learned. Although he has the opportunity to fix the usage of his hands, it could all get thrown away when a dark force threatens humanity as the general population knows it. The doctor must choose between his glorious life of fame and luxury or risking his life to save the entire universe-something he previously couldn't have cared less about.


 The vividly stunning visual effects are breath-taking, to say the least, and truly capture the magic the movie conjures, as well the fantasy-esque that forces the audience to travel into a truly magical world. Not only does the movie expand the Marvel cinematic universe and give some insight into previously unexplained concepts, Doctor Strange gifts fans an enticing tale that might be one of the best in the entire series. The entire plot is mind-blowing and manages to knock away any and all previous expectations and make them disappear, in a manner that the sorcerers themselves would be mighty proud to call their own accomplishment. 

 

Benedict Cumberland is surprisingly perfect as Doctor Stephen Strange and fits his character's role superbly, rivaling Chris Evans's Captain America and Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man. The only part of the movie that isn't as inspiring or jaw-dropping as the rest is the villain, but the battle between said villain is amazingly clever and showcases the pure power of magic, while excellently bringing the film to a close. Stephen Strange said, "I'm not ready," in the movie, and nobody is prepared for the absolute brilliance that is Doctor Strange


The author's comments:

Stephen Strange said, "I'm not ready," in the movie, and nobody is prepared for the absolute brilliance that is Doctor Strange