Inglourious Basterds | Teen Ink

Inglourious Basterds

September 9, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Inglourious Basterds is a movie occurring during Germany's first year of occupation of France. The movie is divided into five different chapters and connects a group of misfit characters that would be assumed by most to be unrelated. It all starts when Hans Landa is sent to a French dairy farmer's house and attempts to find out if he's holding any Jews. Hans Landa is a Jew-hunting Nazi, and he's main goal is to eliminate as many Jews as possible, which is the direct opposite of what Lieutenant Aldo Raine want's to accomplish. The allied soldier wants to exterminate as many Nazis as possible, and in order to do so, he builds a ragtag team of Jewish soldiers, who all agree to make the Nazis pay for their horrendous actions. The team is willing to go to extremes and that includes taking Nazis' scalps. One of the most famous members of the team is "The Bear Jew," who is known for killing Nazis by smashing them in the head with a baseball bat. Together, the group of misfits join forces with, Bridget von Hammersmark, an undercover agent, who also happens to be a famous actress, and they try to take down the Third Reich. All of their stories are intertwined with the likes of Shosanna Dreyfus, who owns a movie theater in Paris, and a famous German soldier, who is praised by all of the Nazis and even Hitler himself. 


 As great as the originative, creative plot of the movie is, this work of art wouldn't be nearly as fantastic as it is without the help of the exceptional dialogue. The dialogue is crystal clear, vigorous, exciting, entertaining, and, in the simplest terms, precise. The movie feels like an actual story being told, and this story has a brilliant beginning, a mind-blowing middle, and an exquisite ending that beautifully brings the movie to a close. Everything feels carefully thought out, planned to perfection, and showcases an interesting view on World War II. 
 The fact that Lieutenant Aldo Raine eats his lunch while threatening Nazi soldiers is clever and takes the meaning of irony to the next level. The first scene depicting The Bear Jew is witty and absolutely one for the ages. The tension between Shosanna and Hans Landa is essentially indescribable and creates some outstandingly marvelous scenes. 
 

Inglourious Basterds is one of the coolest war movies out there and is a dark comedy that puts together Quentin Tarantino's genius with some real historic facts, while managing to exceed any and all expectations. The last word of the movie is "masterpiece" and this film is nothing short of just that. 


The author's comments:

The movie feels like an actual story being told, and this story has a brilliant beginning, a mind-blowing middle, and an exquisite ending that beautifully brings the movie to a close. The last word of the movie is "masterpiece" and this film is nothing short of just that.