Schindler's List Review | Teen Ink

Schindler's List Review

By vancebcunningham SILVER, Seattle, Washington
vancebcunningham SILVER, Seattle, Washington

Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Schindler’s List is hard to talk about. It is a deeply depressing, and yet extremely important film about the struggles and terrors of the Holocaust. It chooses to show one of the most terrible times in human history, and to highlight a small, bittersweet triumph of people. It shows us some of the worst parts of humanity and shoves in down into hell right before our eyes. Yet, through the flames and carnage, we see a small pillar rising up, carrying a small few that show even in the darkest of times, there is still something left. That is what this film is about. Showing how even in the most evil places, humans will always do something good.

You cannot make a happy film about the Holocaust, and anyone who thinks they can is selling something. Something you can do, though, is to highlight someone who changed, who became a better human, and even a hero. They may not have done much in comparison to the whole, but what they did make the end of the story just a little bit better. Schindler’s list is a film about change, about sacrifice, and most importantly about bringing people up in the darkest of times. Maybe not making them happy, but at least making them a little bit better.

I didn’t cry during this movie. I’m not bragging, I’m just making a point. This movie is not completely “sad” in the traditional way. It doesn’t develop a character only to take them away, and it does not bring our hopes up, and then dash them in favor of what we feared would always happen. What it does do is disgust us, enrage us, it makes us want to stand up and yell at the world. It makes us want to scream at the scourges of humanity, it makes us want to tear our hair out cry out in rage against the very idea that something like this could even happen. It shows us something so terrible, that we cannot fully comprehend it. We know that the Holocaust happened, but none of us can understand, it except those who experienced it. I do think though, that Steven Spielberg came close. He came closer than any of us ever could. I don’t know how, but he did. Then, he filmed his understanding and showed it to the world. Shoving it in our faces whether we wanted it there or not. People were forgetting, and some were even doubting, that the Holocaust even happened. So, Spielberg made sure we would never forget. Anyone who has seen Schindler’s List will know that it is seared into your head and heart forever. The imagery is terrifying, and the story of how and why is hidden from us, making us confused and enraged.

My dad has a reasonable law; if it is incredibly sad, depressing, and happened to real people, then he won’t watch it. He has never seen such films as Titanic, Apocalypse Now, and of course, Schindler’s List. That is probably the most terrifying thing about Schindler’s List: that it really happened. Six million people were actually tortured and brutally murdered by fellow humans, which is why it is hard to call a Nazi a human. But then again, Oskar Schindler was also real. Yes, he was a nazi, but that developed into a cover so he could save thousands of Jewish people from the internment camps. At first, it was by accident. All he did was hire jews from ghettos because it was cheaper than hiring a polish person. He treated his workers well, and word began to spread about “Schindler’s Safe-Haven.” Schindler denies this, as he genuinely does not believe in it. He continues with his business, making millions along the way. He eventually is outraged when the Nazis start to kill his workers (as they are in the internment camps), and barges in, telling them to not kill any more. They laugh him off, and he starts to develop an empathy for the jews in the camps. Yes, it grew out of greed, but what it developed into was truly amazing. He saved lives, and should be remembered as someone who risked it all for those who could not.

This is Spielberg's Masterpiece. The scenes of the Night of Broken Glass and of Auschwitz are some of the most terrifying ever shot on camera, and they are so gruesome (thank god it is in black and white). It is certainly an outlier from his other films, but it is incredible to watch nonetheless. My final thoughts after it was over were, “Horrifyingly Beautiful.” I stand by that. It is a magnificent film, and it shines through all other cinema around it. Yes, you may say that it is gruesome and the shock factor played into that, but if you take that away, it is still amazing. One of my favorite books ever is Night, a Holocaust memoir by Elie Wiesel. This film perfectly shows the terrors that this book described, and because of this it is one of the only true Holocaust films.

“Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it” is the motto of this film. Spielberg made it specifically so people would never forget the horrors of the Holocaust, and so that it would never happen again. I think it worked. The scenes in this film are ones not easily ignored, and they are never forgotten. People need to see this movie, to ensure that Spielberg’s intentions are carried out. People need to understand the Holocaust so something like it will never happen again. It might be difficult to watch, and depressing to think about, but these are struggles the viewers will have to get through. This movie needs to be seen by everyone, as it shows that even in the darkest of places, people can still shine through. The underlying meaning of this film is that it is not where you come from, what you used to do, or how you got what you have, but it is how you use it that defines you. Oskar Schindler is a man who was a devoted Nazi, yet he used his power to save those who couldn’t save themselves. This film is deeply heartbreaking, powerful, and it will change you. Yes it might make you depressed and deeply sad, but you will use that to help ensure that things like this never happen again. What people need to understand is that it will change you, yes, but it will change you for the better. If everyone saw this movie, the world would be a better place.

Power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don't. That's what the Emperor said. A man steals something, he's brought in before the Emperor, he throws himself down on the ground. He begs for his life, he knows he's going to die. And the Emperor... pardons him. This worthless man, he lets him go. That's power, Amon. That is power. -Oskar Schindler