2001: A Space Odyssey | Teen Ink

2001: A Space Odyssey

July 18, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 2001: A Space Odyssey is a movie that came out in 1968 and connects the past with the future. A group of astronauts are sent on a mission to Jupiter with a computer system that is built to think like a human. However, only two of the astronauts are awake, and the others are in pods sleeping. No one really knows what the purpose of the mission is, and the entire thing feels odd. The computer, HAL, begins to show abnormal behavior, and this leads to a fight between man and machine as they travel through both space and time. 
 In the beginning of the movie, it starts out with primitive man, and then the movie transitions perfectly as it travels from the start of man to a futuristic world where most of the movie takes place. The ending is really cool and ties together everything. The visual effects are vivid and ground-breaking for the time. In fact, majority of the movie doesn't have dialogue, but that's perfectly fine because of how good the visual effects are.
 The idea that relying on computers too heavily can lead to disaster is clearly displayed in this movie and adds that creepy science fiction mood to the film. The only main fault with the movie is that parts of the end seem confusing, perplexing, and just out-of-this-world strange, but all of that changes at the very end of the movie. The way everything is connected through an odd black structure is beautiful. Although the pace at the beginning of the movie is slow, the rest of the movie speeds up quickly, which creates a more fluid film. 
 This movie could easily have been and probably is the best movie to be made in 1968 because of the excellent directing by Stanley Kubrick , the mind-blowing visual effects, the way everything is connected, and how it makes people question the existing world. The fact that someone came up with all of this in his head is just incredible. The relationship between Dr. Dave Bowman and HAL is entertaining, exciting, and showcases the typical battle between man and machine. In fact, because of Dr. Dave's carelessness, it leads to the astronaut struggling in a fight against HAL, because it pushed the computer past its limit. 2001: A Space Odyssey is an absolute must-see for basically anyone and everyone. The movie is rated "G," so technically everyone can watch it. However, it probably isn't great for kids who are too young, because the ideas in the movie will just fly over their heads. But for those who are old enough, they will discover one of the best science fiction movies to ever be created. 


The author's comments:

This is one of the best science fiction movies to ever be created.