Notes From Ghost Town by Kate Ellison | Teen Ink

Notes From Ghost Town by Kate Ellison

June 6, 2013
By TheKelseyMorris SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
TheKelseyMorris SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Being set up for a romantic story, then having that hope crushed in two chapters is quite heartbreaking. While that is only one of the many tragedies that happens to Olivia in Notes From Ghost Town, the read still gives a happy feeling in your tummy at the end of the story.


To summarize as simply as possible; Olivia is an almost average teenager heading off to art school, and dealing with divorced parents. The day before she leaves for art school, her best guy friend, Lucas Stern and her share a kiss. Neither of them are sure as to how to react, so this kiss leaves their friendship in some deep water, not to mention she goes colorblind. As soon as she leaves, Lucas is murdered and the blame is being put on her schizophrenic mother. Olivia flunks out of art school and comes back home to live with her dad and his new family. Now that she's lost her best friend and mother, she struggles to get back to her normal self. Then one day, Lucas presents himself to her in the form of a ghost. He has not yet passed to the other side, he's stuck in the in-between. Olivia thinks she's turning into her mother and turning crazy herself.


Throughout the story Olivia tries to prove her mothers' innocence by digging into information that she shouldn't be digging in. She goes through a lot of obstacles throughout her investigation and discovers a lot of secrets pertaining to a close family friend. At the end of the story, it gets worse before it gets better. There's a lot of action, and mystery throughout the novel, and it is definitely an interesting read. I really enjoyed getting sucked into this story, I was caught at the end of the first chapter.