Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Nayler | Teen Ink

Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Nayler

May 12, 2016
By hunter2432425 BRONZE, Mount Sterling, Ohio
hunter2432425 BRONZE, Mount Sterling, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The book Shiloh is one of my favorite books since I was a little kid. Shiloh is about a kid named Marty, one day he goes out hunting with his 22 shooting squirrels and just walking  the woods and picking up cans and bottles for change. Marty comes across a beagle and the dog follows him home. Marty was sitting with his family at the dinner table, his parrents knew something was up, so Marty told them he came across a dog and it followed him home. Comes to find out it is Judd travers dog. Judd travers is a local Hunter who hunts out of season and doesn’t take care of his dogs. Marty and his dad go to talk to Judd and Judd says that's my dog ! He was forced to give the dog back and they go home. Mardy thinks about Shiloh a lot and wants that dog and will do anything for that dog!

Judd travers lets Marty ride in his truck while going to David Howard's house. Marty feels sorry for Judd when he tells him that his father beat him as a boy, and Marty offends Judd by saying that he's sorry for him because Judd doesn't want anyone to feel sorry for him.


Before long Shiloh runs away from Judd again and ends up at Marty's house. This time marty hides Shiloh in a makeshift pen just off the path that leads up the hill behind his house. He makes sure he has food and water and is protected from the weather.

One day Marty's mom finds him and the dog. She decides to keep it a secret until the next day, just enough time so Mardy can figure out what to do with the dog, that night a German Shepard jumps the fence and attacks Shiloh. Marty's dad takes the dog to the vet . He say a you can keep the dog just until he starts to get better then you will return the dog. Marty feels guilty, he feels this is all his fault because he didn't make the pen high enough.The next day Doc Murphy shows up with Shiloh. Marty's family slowly starts to fall in love with the dog. Marty is more determined to keep the dog than ever. He decides his only option is to talk to Judd directly!

Early that morning on the day Shiloh has to Be returned to Judd, Marty cuts through the woods on his way to Judd's house. On his way he catches Judd shooting a deer out of season. Marty confronts Judd, thinking quickly, he makes a bargain with Judd. He agrees to be quiet about Judd shooting the doe in exchange for Shiloh. Marty also agrees to work for Judd twenty hours for two dollars an hour, in order to pay for Shiloh.

The work Marty does for Judd is difficult. While he works for Judd, Marty understands  Judd and feels almost sorry for him. Marty can finally see Judd as a person who doesn't know how to care about other people or animals. Marty feels proud of himself for keeping up his end of their bargain in spite of the obstacles that Judd has put in his way. On the last day that Marty works for Judd, Judd gives Marty a collar for Shiloh and tells him, "you got yourself a dog." Marty's family celebrates the fact that Shiloh belongs to them and Marty realizes that "nothing is as simple as you guess”.

The book Shiloh is a good book! There is so much more than a story about a boy and his dog. I have always liked it and I recommend it to people who like dogs and anyone who can relate to this kind of story! If you can relate to a hard working boy trying to get what he wants in a time of uncertainty and loss this book would be for you. The great thing about this book is you can watch the movie, the first movie is called Shiloh and the second movie is called Saving Shiloh. The book he very much like the movie last thing i can recommend is read the book before you watch the movie.