Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick | Teen Ink

Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

By Weightless2015 GOLD, Roselle, Illinois
Weightless2015 GOLD, Roselle, Illinois

"Dream with my eyes open, sleep when I'm dead, love who my heart's chosen, and conquer what lies ahead." -Ryan Follese (lead singer of Hot Chelle Rae)

Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie is narrated by 13 year old Steven writing in his journal during English class. He has a crush on the hottest girl in school, and an angelic looking little brother, Jeffery. One morning, Jeffery gets a nosebleed that changes his and Steven's life. Steven finds out Jeffery has lukemia.In the book, Steven is constantly complaining that his parents don't pay enough attention to him. Steven doesn't realize the pain jeffery is going through. Soon, Steven's parents are in debt from medical bills, and straight-A Steven is failing classes because of missing homework. Steven even has to drop out of the high-school band, his the only thing that keeps him going.
All the characters and situations in Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie are very believable. The end is happy with a sad twist. Read this book - it'll leave you wet-eyed and greatful you took the time. Personally,this is my favorite book.

tinytechie SILVER, 34 Ridgewood St., Connecticut

"I've been singing since I was born" - Idina Menzel

i agree that this is an amazing book! have you read the sequal? is it any good? my only note is this: you gave too much summary and not enough opinion.

Bluekit GOLD said...
Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

"Unicorns and glitter!" -Flo

i love that book!

StarShot said...
StarShot, Queens, New York

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

This was by far one of the greatest books i have ever read. The sequel After Ever After that is narrerated  by a 13 year old Jeffery is also a very good book.

AzureNova said...
I've read this book and others from Jordan Sonnenblick. It's a really good book. It's sad and serious, with a lot of humor in it as well. The characters are very relatable, and the way Steven reacts to Jeffrey's lukemia is realistic. I'd highly recommend this.

Weightless2015 GOLD, Roselle, Illinois

i havent but i'll be sure to check it out :)

papermaster111 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
I loved this book!  It was so funny and sweet at the same time.  Have you read Notes from the Midnight Driver by the same author?  It is really good!

BeYOUtiful_13 BRONZE, Tinley Park, Illinois

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
~Marilyn Monroe

Thats sounds like a sad book. I kinda now how that feels , well actually not really

Weightless2015 GOLD, Roselle, Illinois

thanks for the tips. i wrote it a while ago, but now i am older and better at this.

kandoodle1 said...
This book was one of the bet I have ever read honestly. I was left open mouthed when I read that when Steven found out that his brother had leukemia, he was relieved.

reader101 said...
omg!!!..this book is really good..

i think it was sad though i cried wen

i found out about little jeffy

man this book is funny aswell

which i thnk gives a little twist....

t.gaskin said...
This is by far the most amazing book I myself have ever read. I love it.

Austin Weber BRONZE, New York, New York
It was insightful, but it never really gave me a look into the book. I don't know how to explainw what I'm trying to say, so I'm sorry if I'm not being very helpful here.

This is supposed to be a book review, but let it was more those little articles that you see on the side or on the back of the certain novel that pretty much tells you too much. It was decent though, so I'll vote.

Amber1994 GOLD said...
Amber1994 GOLD, Roanoke, Illinois
I really liked this book. Very emotional and well written.

-check out my poems and comment!-

Weightless2015 GOLD, Roselle, Illinois

hi guys, please vote!! Also vote for my other articles. u can read about me too on the link. enjoy!

Kat