Malcolm X | Teen Ink

Malcolm X

By Sarahbrown BRONZE, Sherwood, Oregon
Sarahbrown BRONZE, Sherwood, Oregon

This book written in a format that I have never seen before, it follows Malcolm X, documenting his speeches as he travels the nation in hopes of equality. It follows a chronological sequence of speeches and statements from Malcolm X himself. I found this to be interesting at first but it soon became predictable, and somewhat boring and predictable.

Malcolm X is a very controversial figure and many people disagree with what he stands for, as I read this book my outlook changed slightly but not enough to completely change my mind.  I feel that he almost attacks all white people and assumes that everyone is racist. Being a white teen reading this I felt guilty, but incorrectly so. I felt that it’s not my fault that this happens and I can't go back and fix it so I feel this guilt is unnecessary.

I feel that my view of America was also slightly altered after reading this book, he brings a new point of view to the reader's attention, that if otherwise not read i don't believe that I would have been able to see without this book “It’s just like when you’ve got some coffee that’s too black, which means it’s too strong. WHat do you do? You integrate it with cream, you make it weak. But if you pour too much cream in it, you won't even know you ever had coffee” (16). Quotes like this are very common throughout this book and they do a good job illustrating what it was like for the African American living in America. I feel that the way the book was written helps the reader to see the progression of how America changed during his time speaking, the reader can see how his speech changes throughout the book. He becomes more forceful towards the middle of the book as he gets more heated: “I believe that there are some white people who might be sincere. But I think they should prove it” (112). I feel this shows how the tone changes through the book as well. Overall I feel this book is worth the read but it’s not the best book I have ever read.