The Bible | Teen Ink

The Bible

By PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas

When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!

If I could choose only one book in the entire world, it would be God’s love letters, his love story, to the whole world, otherwise known as the Bible. “Bible” means book- the holy book of God, to be exact. It’s the only book you can’t get enough of, the only one I’d pick up day after day and read. It’s the only book that is needed in this world. I’m not saying that all the other books in this world aren’t important- I’m just pointing out that the Bible is vital, is absolutely essential to living. At least, the Bible is imperative and necessary in my life. People have given up their lives because of this book and refusing to deny it. I, on the other hand, have the luxury of just reading it and putting it to practice.

I normally don’t like to read nonfiction. Facts bore me, frankly, and creating is a better way to write. But the Bible explains so many things that are impossible to believe and yet every word screams the truth at the same time. It explains creation, why we are so corrupt, why we were created differently, why there are different languages, and most of all, the reason Jesus Christ had to come to this earth and die for us. Who are we that God should send his son to die for us? It really is the greatest love story that could ever be written.

This book is amazing- inspired by God, written in three different continents over a period of a thousand five hundred years, three languages, forty authors, and offers hope to the lost. The Bible is a book of books, all proclaiming the truth and impossible to disprove. There is no other book like the Bible that can or ever will be found. It is utterly impossible. It is a masterpiece, a masterpiece out of masterpieces, overflowing with love and infinite wisdom. Most of the great leaders of America have also been readers of the Bible and lived by it. If you take it seriously, this book will change your life and flip it upside-down.

I recommend that you read the Bible (if you haven’t already) and start in the gospel of Matthew. It’s God’s love story to you, his love letters to his children, and he’s given it to you. All you have to do is pick it up and read- and watch it change you slowly from the inside out.

Calum SILVER said...
Calum SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Yes! This book is amazing!

Calum SILVER said...
Calum SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
The Bible, just like the world around us, shows constant failure by humanity. But what the Bible can give that the world can't, is redemption from that failure. As for characters, the Bible is meant to show us the character of God, chiefly, and his redemption. If the Bible were simply a fiction novel, then the character development would be rather poor(although even in this view, some characters are developed very well), but since it is intended to show us God's character rather than man's, the character development in it is astonishing. As for contradictions, the main one you are probably referencing is the gospels, which do not contradict each other, but rather are man's way of attempting to explain God. It is first and foremost an experience, but it is also meant to be factual. All these men experience Jesus in a different way. John and Matthew were disciples, Luke was a doctor. Mark was an early believer who probably got most of his resources from Peter(who would have experienced God in a different way than John or Matthew.) The Bible does not condone topics such as rape, but merely shows that there is a God who loves us so much he can forgive for all things. For me, that's really comforting to know.

Safeleo said...
Safeleo, Iwakuni, Other

"Looking up into the night sky is like looking into infinity - the distance is incomprehensible and therefore meaningless."
-Douglas Adams

The Bible:  3/10 stars for ease of reading, 3/10 stars for character development, and 1/10 stars for content.  Overall? Leave it in the store. 

JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

I've read the Bible, cover to cover (excluding about 2/3rds of Psalms), simply because everybody raved about how life-changing this narrative is. It wasn't. The story is a mess, the characters see little to no developmet (with the possible exception of Judas Iscariot, David, and Jonathon) and the internal mythology often contradicts itself in all kinds of insane and interesting ways. On a purely narrative standpoint, this book is a mess. On an ethical standpoint, this book . . . is still a mess. Condones rape, misogyny, genocide, slavery, infantcide, etc. and this is what so many people are getting their moral compass from? Oh my.

On an 100% objective, non-religious, non-bias level, the Bible is comparible to a lot of bad YA lit, on a good day.

AngelGal07 GOLD, Ferndale, Washington

"If you do not love God then you do not know God for God is love" 1 John 4:8

Yes! the bible is the best book in the world that is true from the begginging to the end! ( please dont mind my spelling)

This is the best article I've seen on Teen Ink, really. God is the number one thing in this world, and yet we naturally turn him down because our selfish reasons seem more important than his generous reasons. Again, amazing article :D

Jaquie BRONZE said...
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

I loved your review. I found it very empowering and a great way to reach out to fellow teen artists. We should all look up to you and your forward way of getting the message across. And I thank you on behalf of people like 'jmc.13' and 'hola14' because whether they believe it or not they got something out of your article. They could have stopped reading, but they didn't. You gave them a chance, and even though it looks as if they didn't except it, God was working through you to reach them. I find it a remarkable thing to consider. And look what spot he put you in just so you can reach all the others who are looking for a reason? Congratulations on being the top review.

kat4christ said...
kat4christ, San Antonio, Texas
Great job! Thank-you for not being afraid to stand up for what you believe. Sometimes it's hard to share your faith because of the negative reaction this topic generally creates.

And by the way, I completely agree. =)

fisherj BRONZE said...
fisherj BRONZE, Hickory, North Carolina
As I don't feel I should address the substance of this article, I would like to say that, as book reviews go, this needs some work. The nature of the beast here is that the Bible exists in dozens of translations, though the one (or more) that was (were) used for this article is (are) not mentioned. Also, the factual accuracy of a work is by no stretch of the imagination a gauge for how 'good' it is. Innumerable works of actual nonfiction exist that are cover-to-cover true, but are written so poorly as to be impossible to read. Unfortunately, saying 'this is a masterpiece' doesn't make it one. The genre of Book Review exists for (among other reasons) intellectual critique to help develop and improve the understanding of a work. The above essay is, quite unfortunately, overwhelmingly biased and presents information in a way that is not helpful to the author's cause or to the reader's understanding of the work. I have hope that in the future, the author here may be able to re-write this in a way that is more worthwhile for readers.

ReflectionsofYou GOLD, Mason, Tennessee
I liked the way you wrote it, it didn't seem preachy and alot of times we feel so strongely about it that it's hard not to do that. And hey, it's a free country, we can believe whatever we want, all of us can. no offence to anyone just an observation.

The only critisism[sp?] I have is I think it might have done better as an nonfiction essay, but I still liked the way you wrote it!

hola14 BRONZE said...
hola14 BRONZE, New York, New York
The only thing vital to living are food and water. Occasionally shelter. The bible is not included in those things. It should not be your only way to know god is real. And is no proof that he is. Their all stories. It's like a big book of Aesop's Fables but it actually has a story line.

jmc.13 said...
jmc.13, Dobbs Ferry, New York

"I'd rather regret what I did than what I didn't do."

The bible isn't truthful, there's no proof, it's just stories.

dg777 said...
awesome job. i'm glad there are some people in this world who haven't lost faith and become corrupt. i think this is a great review, and interesting that u chose this book. smart choice. keep writing <3

JCaine777 said...
This is a wonderful review of a Book which is certaintly a daunting text to look over descriptively. From one Christian to another- great job, and God Bless. And if you really want to get deep into some interesting mysteries in the Bible, take a look at Zachariah. And if you don't believe God can joke about love, check out the Song of Songs. I have no doubt you'll find them easily, if you know what I mean.