Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell | Teen Ink

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

By Emilile7 BRONZE, Lincoln, California
Emilile7 BRONZE, Lincoln, California

Elaine S. Dalton - “Don’t let the low standards and expectations of the world and others cause you to aim beneath your nobility and ability—dream big! What I know and have learned is that anything worth doing is not easy and that we can do anything that is not easy if we believe.”

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, 1936. When read, what do you think of? Personally, all I thought before I read the novel was "Long. Over 1,400 pages. NO. WAY." However, after reading this classic, I am here to assure you that Gone With the Wind is so much more than simply "Long. Over 1,400 pages. NO WAY." 

Mitchell said in an interview that, "If the novel has a theme it is that of survival. What makes some people come through catastrophes and  others, apparently just as able, strong, and brave, go under? It happens in every upheaval. Some people survive; others don't. What qualities are in those who fight their way through triumphantly that are lacking in those that go under? I only know that survivors used to call that quality 'gumption'. So I wrote about people who had gumption and people who didn't." After reading the novel, anybody can tell you that this work is so much more than  the center idea of human survival and vitality. It is a masterpiece that gives a new name to the American Revolution, slavery, the Old South, and trial. 

Gone With The Wind follows  Miss Scarlett O'Hara from the time she is 16, till she is 28 and no longer a young girl, but a woman. Throughout the novel the reader is reminded over and over that Scarlett, along with every character, is not perfect, but all too human. What makes this book so compelling is perhaps the fact that it is impossible to hold just one opinion on each character. There is always a side to love, a side to despise, and a side of mystery and confusion. Mitchell helps her characters and their emotions live beyond the ink and pages within the two covers of a book. 

Personally, no book has ever gotten me to respond so much, both mentally and emotionally. There were times when I, as the reader, was fiercely angry and others when I was moved to tears. It is definitely a piece that will cause you to think hard about any number of things from your own personal life to humanity as a whole. Mitchell writes in such a way that you don't realize how drawn into the story you are until you either can't put the novel down or you throw it from you because you can't bear to see what comes next. This classic American novel is most assuredly a must read. Once you finish, you will no longer be saying "Too long" , you'll be saying "Let's read it again". 

Larkin SILVER said...
Larkin SILVER, Santa Rosa, California

"Our remedies oft in ourself do lie, which we ascribe to heaven."
-William Shakespeare

Nice job with this, but I agree that you should generally not start a paragraph with a quote. Your summery was great and did not go on for too long, but I think you could use a little more descriptive-ness (I don't know if that's a word). A few punctuation mistakes with your dialogue, but overall good job. 

ZealousHeart said...
ZealousHeart, St. Joseph, Missouri

Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.

My first observation is that the second sentence needs to be rewritten, because it just sounds so awkward. Also, don't start your paragraph off with a quote. You need some kind of warm up to get us ready for it, otherwise it seems like a radnom transition.   For a review I think there needs to be a little more objectivity. It's clear that you really enjoyed this book, and that's great, but the key to any good argument (in this case, why "Gone With the Wind" is a good book) is to convince the other party of your opinion without any bias. Otherwise you're just ranting and raving about this thing that you love and it might make it hard for some people to match your level of admiration. I don't think that you're ranting and raving here. You do make some good, constructive points, but I just think that less praise and more construction could work to make your review better. 

Emilile7 BRONZE, Lincoln, California

Haha! Well when you find that free book, snap it up :) And okay cool, I see what you're saying. Thank you for the advice! 

Extraterrestrial SILVER, Singapore, Other

"Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!"

I have not read this book, so you'll forgive me if I'm unable to offer more valuable insight... however, I can say that as a reader, I appreciate the honesty you have poured into this passage. The intro paragraph is both humorous and straightforward and you seem to have nailed the themes of the book quite well (again, not having read it, I can only make a guesstimate). You've a couple of minor mistakes and the sentence flow could be better, but it's nothing a read-over and a little editing won't fix. I do think -- despite the fact that you have written a compelling argument to read Gone With The Wind -- that you can make this piece even more persuasive. For instance, as I said before, you have outlined the themes of the book. You could then try relating it to the life and times of the modern reader. Or, when discussing the humanness of the book's characters, you can then take it a step further and explain how these fictional characters can help the reader grow as a person. So essentially, you've gotten the meat of the book down, transforming it into a great book review. Next you can try making more connections between the book and the reader, on how it can teach the reader valuable life lessons, etc. I might not sound very coherent right now, but the point I'm trying to make is that you definitely have the ability to take this further. Regardless, you've convinced me of the greatness of this book -- now if only there was a free copy somewhere I could pick up (college student, you see, I'm rather broke right now)...

Emilile7 BRONZE, Lincoln, California

And thank you Shagun and AutumnMoon! I didn't see your comments there. I appreciate your reading and commenting! :) 

BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other

Write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect

'Gone with the wind' is one of my favorite books and i think that you summed it up so perfectly. Only thing, After saying 'let's read it again' a few times, you'll be saying 'Sequel, please' 

AutumnMoon BRONZE, Lebanon, Maine

"We see our better selves in the eyes of those who love us." -Cassandra Clare

I think that your argument here was perfect. You told people to read the book without just saying, "You shoud read Gone With the Wind." You summary and refelction were both excelent. They gave the reader enough information without giving away anything important. I will not hesitate to read this book now. Great job! 5/5

Emilile7 BRONZE, Lincoln, California

Awesome! Thank you so much WritinGirl! And thank you for the feed back, I appreciate it :) I hope you do read the book, it is DEFINITELY a classic that has  influence. 

WritinGirl PLATINUM, DeKalb, Illinois

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ~Maya Angelou

I think you succeeded, because I want to read the book now! Honestly, I really loved the way you combined something the author said, with a brief description of the book, as well as your own point of view. My only critique woud be the sentence, "...Miss Scarlett O'Hara from the time she is 16, till she is 28 and no longer a young girl, but a woman"  If you say she's 16 till 28, it's assumed she's a woman, so you probably don't have to put the second part in. The rest of it was amazing, however! :)