The Maze Runner by James Dashner | Teen Ink

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

August 1, 2014
By AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois
AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois
257 articles 0 photos 326 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dalai Lama said, "There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called YESTERDAY and the other is called TOMORROW, so today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly live..."


THHRe: The Maze Runner
#1 in the Maze Runner Series

After a seventh grade of watching people hug green-coated books with Dashner on them, I decided to check out the Maze Runner Trilogy. Following is my review of the first book, “The Maze Runner.”

Thomas wakes up in a metal box, memory wiped, stunned to find himself delivered to the Glade. He is quickly accepted into their society, a group of boys that are determined to solve the humongous maze that surrounds the Glade for their survival.
But when another girl arrives the day right after Thomas’s arrival, things start to fall apart. The boys realize it’s now or never to solve the Maze, before their chances of escape are completely lost. And Thomas and his locked memories may be their only hope.
Honestly, dystopias these days have started to lose their glimmer, and I’ve always been more inclined towards fantasy versus the microcosm fest. But this book completely changed my original viewpoint.
This book was a completely unprecedented ride of adventure, thrill, fear and a true journey. Practically every page held new twists in the plot, and by each page you begin to fall in love with the dimensional, relatable characters. Cliffhangers to make you wail. And the writing? Clear and concise, descriptive at its balanced peak. In short, I was desperately impressed with this book, and brimming to see what was next for in series.
I’m also especially piqued at what’ll become of the movie, scheduled release in the USA for September 14, 2014. The sneak peeks and trailer hold a lot of promise, with Dylan O’Brien (Thomas) and Kaya Scodelairo (Teresa) heading the on-screen characters. The cast is interesting, and Dashner himself has said in an interview he “never ceases to be amazed” by the movie. And as it’s obvious they’ll probably utilize the whole series (if box office allows), I can’t wait to see if they butcher or beautify the series.


The author's comments:
What does "THHRe" stand for? Good question! It's THE HOLY HITCHHIKE’S REVIEW...A shorter version of the Hitchhike, reviews of books, movies, music, and just about anything you can dream up. Enjoy, and let loose your commentary and suggestions below. A new column of THH every Friday!