The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky | Teen Ink

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky MAG

November 1, 2008
By AntoinetteBrandt GOLD, Interlachen, Florida
AntoinetteBrandt GOLD, Interlachen, Florida
16 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
In order to gain all, you must risk all.


The Perks of Being Wallflower is an epic novel for any generation. After reading it three times, I am still deeply moved. This is a great coming-of-age story, perhaps as memorable as The Catcher in the Rye.

Charlie reaches out through letters that take you into his life. You find yourself recognizing what he is going through, and it opens your eyes and makes you realize you are not alone, no matter what.

In this novel, you will fall in love with the characters as they remind you of your friends. I think everyone should read this book because, like Charlie, we are all on a quest to find ourselves.

This brilliant first novel captures the reader’s mind. From when Charlie first realizes he is in love, to the times that he is infinite, and the moments he is in tears, Chbosky never fails to promise the reader something good. Something beautiful. Something infinite.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 50 comments.


on Aug. 9 2015 at 5:06 pm
justmyexistentialthoughts GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island
10 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't make great stuff until you've made good stuff, you can't make good stuff until you make alright stuff, and you can't make alright stuff until you've made pretty bad stuff." - P.J. Liguori

Your comment is truly beautiful and really captures the essence of the book; it couldn't have been put better

on Aug. 9 2013 at 7:01 am
laurenevansok SILVER, Bromborough, Other
6 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
'One person's "annoying" is another person's "inspiring and heroic"' - Leslie Knope (Parks and Recreation)

I am THRILLED to read this review, I am planning on writing my own review also; it's my favourite book ever written! I hope I can conquer such a fantastic review as this. 

AshelyDawnn said...
on Feb. 21 2013 at 8:48 am
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky It was a really good book. 4.5 Star Rating   Introduction This book is about a boy named Charlie who is practically mentally unstable. He keeps remembering back to the past of when he was a young boy and his aunt passed away. He blamed himself for the incident. When he arrives back home from a mental institute, he begins typing to an unknown friend. He has no friends at all and this seems to be the problem. Eventually he meets a girl named Sam and her step-brother, Patrick. They become really close friends and the memories seem to begin to fade away from Charlie’s mind. Everything seems well. He’s living life and he has a lot of friends. Then Charlie made a huge mistake with his first girlfriend, MaryAnn which was one of Sam’s best friends. This causes Charlie to lose all of his close friends. Charlie then starts seeing the memories and he needs help fast! Sam’s brother gets in a fight and needs help. Charlie steps in a takes action and beats all of the guys up. Sam then forgives Charlie and he has all of his friends back. Description and summary of main points Charlie is a mentally unstable freshman in the beginning with bad flashes of the past. He has no friends and keeps typing to an unknown friend the whole time in the story. He later on meets some new friends and the memories start to fade away. He starts to fall in love with his new friend Sam.  He’s starting to live life like a normal teenager and he loves it. He makes a huge mistake and loses his friends but in the end he gets them back because he helps his best friend’s brother, Patrick. Evaluation In my opinion this was an amazing book. I loved everything about it. It was sort of sad in most pasts but in the end it had a happy ending. I think this book is very relatable to everyone who reads it. This is without a doubt one of my favorite books that I have ever read. Conclusion It was definitely a good book and I would recommend people to read it. It’s relatable and it really gets to you. You know Charlie has been through a lot in this book but he has friends and family that love him and help him through it along the way. Your final review This book was absolutely amazing. It was one of the greatest books that I have ever read. I would recommend anyone and everyone to read it because it is just a great book. You can relate to it, it’s heartwarming but also heartbreaking. This book is just amazing and I think a lot of people would really enjoy this book if they ever get the chance to read it.

on Jan. 21 2013 at 7:13 pm
Dolly9471 BRONZE, Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
In the end will will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Now that I have read this, I think that I will try to read this novel!!!

6.2830 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 7 2012 at 8:45 am
6.2830 BRONZE, Viennia, Virginia
1 article 1 photo 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
When I doubt eat a sprout

Hmmmmmmmmmm, i have heard about this book. i think ill read it before the movie comes out.

on Sep. 20 2012 at 8:09 pm
KenKenForeverz BRONZE, Tomball, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“we accept the love we think we deserve.”

I've read this book twice. And I love it so much. I can't wait until the movie!

Lacer GOLD said...
on May. 23 2012 at 6:35 pm
Lacer GOLD, Highland Village, Texas
19 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
The thing about philosophy is that it often runs dry when thought of so shallowly.

Not true; the redemption of it was that Charlie always stayed at the sidelines, never actively participating in the world around him. He did drugs, hung out after school with a small group of friends that never grew. The ending was his way of saying he was going to start investing himself into the world around him and actively take in his reality. Its not about fixing your reality, its about finding it first.

Lacer GOLD said...
on May. 23 2012 at 6:33 pm
Lacer GOLD, Highland Village, Texas
19 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
The thing about philosophy is that it often runs dry when thought of so shallowly.

You obviously really do love this book, and you cover the motional impact of it well, but how about a premise? Some people don't know that this book is about a "Socially awkward freshman who feels insecure and is writing letters anonymously to get out all of his feelings."

on Apr. 9 2012 at 10:22 am
The_Adventurer, Denver, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I fell in love with this book after Charlie's first letter. The point of view is beautiful and Charlie's character is relateable for almost anyone. This review is a great summary of what makes this book so connectable and memorable.

on Mar. 18 2012 at 12:23 am
otherpoet SILVER, Wayland, Massachusetts
6 articles 9 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

I've heard a lot about this book, but your review makes me want to go out and read it! You give just enough away to leave it intrigueing, yet interesting. Great writing!

reader said...
on Jan. 14 2012 at 2:45 pm
The characters are so messed up and yes, that does reflect real life, but instead of any kind of redemption, the book ends with the attitude that there's nothing to do with our messed up lives except accept it. It left me with a hangover feeling with no comfort in sight.

FerwaForever said...
on Nov. 7 2011 at 3:46 pm
FerwaForever, Richmond, Virginia
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
haha i JUST finish reading that like an hour ago! It was such a good book i loved it, and i'm really trying to get my parents to buy it for me 9check it out from library) it's SO good i highly reccommend people reading this 5/5 stars

on Oct. 16 2011 at 12:51 pm
ThatGirlOverthere BRONZE, LaLaland, Other
1 article 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We Must
bring our own light
to the darkness" by poet Charles Bukowski
- about prouving yourself... I'm on my way to accomplish that!

 Well actualy I just found out that my poem isn't being displayed (though I can see it when I check my account) So please go to TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/372909/that-non-feeling/  and post your comment, no matter what you have to say; just give me some feedback!  :)

 


on Oct. 16 2011 at 10:47 am
ThatGirlOverthere BRONZE, LaLaland, Other
1 article 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We Must
bring our own light
to the darkness" by poet Charles Bukowski
- about prouving yourself... I'm on my way to accomplish that!

 Well actually I just found out (by doing logout) that this poem of mine isn't displayed. Strange, hã? Ever happened to anyone? I receveid a e-mail confirmating that it was published on the site, and I can see it when I access my account. Either way, there it is: TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/372909/that-non-feeling/

 Hope you like it! Leave a comment  :)

 


on Oct. 16 2011 at 6:28 am
ThatGirlOverthere BRONZE, LaLaland, Other
1 article 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We Must
bring our own light
to the darkness" by poet Charles Bukowski
- about prouving yourself... I'm on my way to accomplish that!

 OMG, this is such a funny coincidence! You see, this week I posted a poem here that I wrote, inspired by a passage of this book.

 I discouvered a sentence online about not wanting to feel. Just afterwords I found out that it belonged to 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'.

 It's was amazing since I was the first time ever I saw that emotion being described. Although my poem is very simple, I would love if you guys read it, since some of you already read the book - you could relate to my words, I hope!  :)

 Please please I would love to have some feedback and discuss it! See my stuff; the poem is 'that non-feeling'.

 


on Aug. 11 2011 at 11:33 pm
just-another-url GOLD, Cannes, Other
16 articles 6 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness." -Philip Lester

I read The Perks Of Being A Wallflower in about six hours. Great book, maybe not my favorite but once you start you can't put it down until the last page :) 

on Jul. 20 2011 at 11:44 pm
ohmakemeover BRONZE, Centerville, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 98 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Touch comes before sight, before speech. It is the first language and the last, and it always tells the truth."- Margaret Atwood

I like your review because it is just neat enough to completely sum up the experience of the novel.  If I wrote a review, it would be one word: infinite.

on Jun. 28 2011 at 10:40 pm
HaleyDRog. GOLD, Easley, South Carolina
11 articles 14 photos 291 comments

Favorite Quote:
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on. -Robert Frost

I am inlove with this book. By far, one of the best books I have ever read! Keep bringing it Chbosky! 

on Jun. 28 2011 at 3:53 pm
sammyjanee GOLD, Plantsville, Connecticut
12 articles 1 photo 15 comments
By far, my favorite novel. Great review, everyone should read the book.

on May. 15 2011 at 3:22 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Great article and it sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing your opinion about this book and I will definitely add this book to my list of books that I will read over the summer. :)