This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer | Teen Ink

This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer

May 29, 2013
By TheKelseyMorris SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
TheKelseyMorris SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

If there was an award for people who always start with the second book in a trilogy, it would go to me. This World We Live In is the second book in the trilogy by Susan Beth Pfeffer. It took me a while to pick up this book and actually read it seeing that I had never heard of it before. Once I started getting into it, I was in quite a rush to finish it.

This novel has a post- apocalyptic setting; cities turned to ruins, and very scarce resources. Miranda and her family are struggling to survive in an almost deserted town with their growing family. The story begins when a light drizzle of rain falls from the sky for the first time in months. From there, hope begins to grow warm in everyone's hearts. They start to find new ways of getting food and other necessities, Miranda's' brother even finds himself a girl, and Miranda finds herself crushing hard. But the most surprising event is when a wish of Miranda's comes true. I don't want to spoil the surprise so i wont, but it definitely changes things a bit.

I enjoyed this read because of the fact that i felt as if I was in a post- apocalyptic setting myself. Pfeffer's choice of words is very descriptive, yet easy to read. I have not read the first novel, "Life As We Knew It," or the third novel, "The Dead & The Gone." I'm sure reading the first novel would have given me a better insight to both the characters and the setting, but this novel itself is very good.