The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket | Teen Ink

The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket

March 7, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Can you imagine learning about three orphans trying desperately to learn about their lives? How about reading the works of an author who has random analogies pop out like a jack in the box? You can find those things in the book: The Penultimate Peril, by Lemony Snicket. Just dive into this book and see where the action takes you. This book is definitely for mystery lovers.

Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire lost their parents in a fire and suddenly find themselves at the Hotel Denouement. They have a job as flaneurs, which are people who spy while they do their job. Soon enough, they meet Count Olaf, again. He has been after them for quite some time trying to reach the enormous fortune their parents left behind.

The story says that “in order to be noble, at some point you must do a wicked thing”. I do not neccecarily agree with this point of the story because I know plenty of people who, through my understanding, have never done anything wicked, but are still noble.
Throughout the book, the author keeps encouraging the reader to put the book down. This tends to get annoying especially when you get farther on in the series. But don't let that stop your reading!!!
I do not recommend this book right away. Start with the book The Bad Beginning. The book I am reviewing is the twelfth in the series. The Bad Beginning is the first in the series.
I personally love his stories. It definitely spurs up a sense of mystery. If you are urged to read the poem, which is for the person the book is dedicated for, then you will find that Snicket always mentions a lover of his, named Beatrice. If you want to find out who she is, read all thirteen books!!!

So, if you're looking for a great book, pick up The Penultimate Peril. But make sure you have read the first eleven otherwise you won't understand a word. I encourage you much to enjoy the whole series, or maybe not enjoy some parts. But join many others and love this series!