Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

October 28, 2012
By AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York
AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York
41 articles 0 photos 8 comments

The wait is over! The 3rd installment of Rick Riordan’s best-selling “Heroes of Olympus” series, Mark of Athena, hit bookshelves on October 2, 2012.
It starts where the last installment, Son of Neptune, left off. With Percy and Annabeth reunited it seems as though nothing can go wrong.
A friend betrays, or do they really? A war between mortal enemies, Greeks and Romans begins. Mother Earth regains consciousness and the group of demigods realizes she is not the nurturing figure she is made out to be, but a vengeful, all-powerful being bent on destroying them. Just their luck!
Two prophecies unfold. The Prophecy of Seven, first introduced in the end of The Last Olympian, unravels to lead the group to the place where it all began, Rome.
Alongside, The Prophecy of the Mark of Athena finally is fulfilled after centuries of failed attempts, leading Annabeth on the journey of a lifetime.
This quest could hold the key to creating peace between the Romans and Greeks. With only her wits and knowledge as companions, Annabeth must face her worst fear and prove she is worthy of calling herself a daughter of Athena. All Annabeth can hope for is to see Percy one last time.
This fast paced story, filled with heart stopping as well as heartwarming moments, does not disappoint. Injected with the well-placed, trademark Riordan humor and quick wittedness, especially in sticky situations, you will be up all night unable to put down this thrilling page-turner.
“All the silly monsters and clever lines that we fell in love with when we read The Lightening Thief are new, improved, and back with a vengeance,” states Hypable.
The simple language and gut-wrenching events keep Mark of Athena far from boring. The details and vulnerabilities keep the characters relatable and their bravery and intelligence inspires the audience to strive for more. The modern setting makes the ancient histories come to life in a way that present day audiences will understand.
“This series has been filled with nonstop action and adventure and this latest book does not disappoint,” comments Throuthehaze Reads.
After so many years with these characters, readers feel attached to them. As the characters develop and mature throughout the series, the readers have grown with them. Although their problems might be on a bigger scale than the average teenagers’, the reader can sympathize with them because their main goal is to be normal and fit in, the seemingly impossible quest. This is the magic of Rick Riordan’s writing.
“It carried on the legacy of the series!” said Abhishek, a sophomore at SHS.
Mark of Athena led readers through the most intricate story line in the epic life of Percy Jackson, weaving together many different story lines. With the thrilling cliff-hanger ending (literally) of Mark of Athena, readers will be excited to know the fourth installment in the life of Percy Jackson, House of Hades, will be available in the fall of 2013. Pick up a copy of Mark of Athena and experience the roller coaster ride that the Prophecy of Seven leads Percy, Annabeth, and all their friends through!