<i>Girl Genius</i> by Phil & Kaja Foglio | Teen Ink

Girl Genius by Phil & Kaja Foglio MAG

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

This is awesome! This series had been recommended to me many times, first by my brother and then by many online friends, so I finally gave it a shot. I'm not usually big on comics or graphic novels, but I went through this series in four days.

Ten years worth of mad ­scientists, zany monsters, ­romantic hilarity all squished into 96 hours and at least 15 cups of coffee. It's a wonder my brain didn't start leaking out of my ears … oh, wait, what is that gray stuff on my shirt? Sorry, I shall endeavor to be serious. It is difficult, since I only finished the last page a couple of hours ago and I'm still drinking too much coffee.

First of all, I love the characters. I fell in love with the Jagers first, then everyone else almost as quickly. I love the bantering interplay between all of them, particularly when Gil and Tarvek meet – that was way too much fun. Agatha is brilliant – first as she comes to terms with her sudden lifestyle changes, and then as she comes to enjoy herself just a little too much.

I love the bizarre tangents and the sheer quirkiness of any given page; I love the explosions, the gadgets, the Big Awesome Plant … what isn't to like? Plus there's the fact that you can read the entire thing online without any breaks, staying up to ridiculous hours until your eyeballs start to dry up and drinking coffee until you twitch at any noise!

The art is lovely, full of ­fascinating details. I enjoyed reading the signs and labels scattered around. The outfits are so lavishly odd that sometimes you just have to sit blinking at them. Most impressive. Not to mention the hats.

I would recommend this to lovers of steampunk, graphic novels or just plain fun. It was enervating, it was unnerving, and it was completely marvelous. Go to girlgeniusonline.com to give it a try. You won't be able to stop.