Cast in Peril by Michelle Sagara | Teen Ink

Cast in Peril by Michelle Sagara

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

I feel like the series is finally getting somewhere! Upon discovering this series last year, I knew I loved the characters, but as it went on I began to wonder if the plot was going to continue meandering on in the general direction of learning something about Kaylin's 'Chosen' status or just fizzle out. This book reassured me, and now I can hardly wait for the next one.

One thing I loved about this book is that there were actually signs of Severn and Kaylin's relationship changing. Anyone who has read the earlier books knows what I mean. Will they keep to the pattern of caring but not touching, or will we get a kiss? That is one of the delightful questions that keeps you in suspense throughout the series.

Cast in Peril starts with a bang - literally - when someone throws a bomb through Kaylin's window. Is she the target, or is her roommate, who happens to be the only female dragon? They survive due to the hatching of a most peculiar creature who is in itself a mystery. Since the emotions of everyone other than Kaylin tend to be kind of subdued in this series, it was interesting to watch the various reactions from her friends.

All in all, this was one of my favorite books in the series, but I still wish Ms. Sagara would pick up the pace a little.