The Willows: Haven by Hope Collier | Teen Ink

The Willows: Haven by Hope Collier

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

It took me a little while to get into this book but when I did I really enjoyed it. Ashton was a character I could really like and sympathize with. Gabe was a little harder to understand and even after reading the whole book I am not sure what to think of him, but he was certainly intriguing. I hope the sequel comes out soon so that some of my questions about him can be answered. All of those mysterious hints.

I loved that there were naiads and dryads instead of the more "popular" supernatural creatures. Naiads (water nymphs) have always especially interested me when reading mythology, so it was nice to see them featured so prominently in this book.

I liked Ms. Collier's writing style and her character development was really good. Though I wish she had given Kyle just a little bit more of a chance with the love triangle...oh well, I liked Gabe, I really did. It is just that I liked Kyle a tiny bit more. My only problem with the story was that the plot and romance was sometimes a little confusing. Other than that though, it was a fun fantasy with an interesting premise.

This is a very promising first book in a series that I would recommend to any lovers of fantasy and romance.