The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

This novel is probably on of the best I have ever read. The Book Thief is the story of Liesel Meminger, and her life during World War II; the story from Death's point of view. Very few things give Death pleasure when doing his job, but the story of Liesel is something. This book is about how literature can influence a whole country. Liesel is able to realize that words are the only things holding Germany under the rule of Hitler and the Nazi party. This novel is also set on the recurring themes of death and dying. This theme is apparent because the narrator of the story is Death. Colors, they are the only thing that keeps Death sane while doing his job. Colors are the best way that Death can describe emotion and feelings. The story starts out with Liesel being taken to her foster parents house, her brother dies and is buried by the train tracks. This is the moment that Liesel steal her first book, The Gravedigger's Handbook. This book is one of the fourteen others that let her escape from her bleak life. This story is about the struggles of an abandoned child, a Jewish boxer, and accordionist, and an extreme amount of thievery. I recommend this book to anyone how wants a new favorite, and a piece of literature that will change their view point on life forever.