Blood of the White Witch by Lacey Weatherford | Teen Ink

Blood of the White Witch by Lacey Weatherford

August 16, 2011
By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
132 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel


Blood of the White Witch jumps right into the story with a shocking and highly original twist. I will leave you the delight of gasping over it in surprise. I had my hand over my mouth to stifle my giggles for the first five minutes of the book.

I love Vance and Portia. They are both so very young but in possession of wisdom beyond their years. They have real problems sometimes in their relationship (though often exaggerated by magical mayhem) and they work through them intelligently and with understanding.

Vance is totally swoonworthy. He is handsome, strong, very protective, occasionally fierce, passionate, kind and loyal. He also has a strong belief in God, which is unusual and welcome in a YA hero.

The characteristic that stood out most in Portia, to me anyway, was her pure stubborn determination. No matter how bad things get, she finds hope and no matter what happens with Vance, be it evil relatives or demonic possession, she retains her belief that they will prevail. I also love their sense of humor. They are forever teasing each other and their friends, reminding you that they are still teenagers.

The plot is interesting, full of strange developments and disturbing twists. With this series, one never knows precisely what will happen next...and where would the fun be if you did?

I would recommend this book to lovers of (mostly) light YA romance and paranormal fantasy.