Filmmaking for Teens: Pulling off your shorts by Troy Lanier and Clay Nichols | Teen Ink

Filmmaking for Teens: Pulling off your shorts by Troy Lanier and Clay Nichols MAG

July 18, 2011
By beatnik BRONZE, Boise, Idaho
beatnik BRONZE, Boise, Idaho
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Poets are soldiers that liberate words from the steadfast possession of definition."
-Eli Khamarov


First, let me say I love filmmaking. It's the greatest, hands down. For me, it is the ultimate art form, an accumulation of the craft and a creative outlet. Let me also say that I am a teenager on a budget – a very small one which is not ideal when you have big Hollywood dreams and want to be taken seriously.

The best way for me to start my career, I figured, was through education. So, I scoured the web for books
that might help. Nothing tech-heavy or too full of undecipherable jargon – I just wanted straightforward information. To my great amazement, I found something that was all that and more: Filmmaking for Teens: Pulling Off Your Shorts. This book is easy to understand, witty, motivational, and best of all, will get you on the way to making your first short.

Filmmaking for Teens walks you through the process of creating a five-minute film “from scratch to screen.” You might be thinking, Why would I want to read a how-to book? Well, remember when you said, “Anyone could write a better movie than that!”? Here's your chance. This book gives you a voice, the timeless voice of film.

Filmmaking for Teens tells you how to conceive, write, ­direct, edit and market that voice – and be taken seriously along the way. It demystifies the sometimes cloudy world of filmmaking. So, if you're looking to put your dreams and ideas on the big screen, or even just the TV in your family room, look no further.


The author's comments:
I wrote this to raise awareness about a wonderful resource for teens that are interested in film-making. I read/ and began writing reviews about these books because of my passion for writing and film-making.