A Million Little Pieces by James Frey | Teen Ink

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

April 20, 2008
By Anonymous

A Million Little Pieces is a novel about a man who has an alcohol and drug addiction. James Frey, the author and the addict tells his story about his six weeks in rehab. He had been an addict for ten years and by the time he checked into a rehab clinic, he was close to death. Before checking into rehab, he had put every time of drug and chemical that you can think of into his body. There was no healthy thing about him and the doctor's were surprised that he was still alive. This is a book that was really hard for me to put down because it just makes you want to know what's going to happen to him next.


Inside the clinic, James is surrounded by people who have the same or even worse problems then him including a judge, a mobster, a world champion boxer and a former prostitute whom he is not allowed to talk to. James denies that he has any part to do with his bad decisions that he has had made and that recovery is impossible.


James confronts the problems that he's going through and struggles to get better. This book is about a man who destroyed and reconstructed himself in six weeks. It also shows how alcohol can turn your life upside down and the consequences you have to go through to get rid of it. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an intense autobiography about life problems. I think that James Frey did a really good job portraying his life in rehab.