Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins | Teen Ink

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

February 3, 2011
By _KTLS_ PLATINUM, McMurray, Pennsylvania
_KTLS_ PLATINUM, McMurray, Pennsylvania
33 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Anna and the French Kiss
Stephanie Perkins


“At least the people in my new school speak English. It was founded for pretentious Americans who don’t like the company of their own children. I mean, really. Who sends their kid to boarding school? It’s so Hogwarts. Only mine doesn’t have cute boy wizards or magic candy or flying lessons.”


Anna Oliphant’s now-famous novelist father thinks that Anna needs to be more “cultured,” so he ships his only daughter to an elite boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school. Anna pitches a fit – her friends are in Atlanta, her family is in Atlanta, her life is in Atlanta – but “no” is not a word her father seems to understand. Anna is surprised when she makes a new friend on her first night – Mer, the girl next door – and is instantly accepted into Mer’s small group of friends: Josh and Rashmi, and St. Clair, who’s girlfriend – Ellie – graduated the year before and is attending a university further in town. Mer is head over heels in love with St. Clair, and Anna knows that he is obviously off-limits… but his English accent and gorgeous hair are too hard to ignore, and as their friendship develops she starts to realize that she likes him as more than just a friend…


Anna and the French Kiss was an awesome read. I usually hate books that are real life-y, but this one had me enthralled from the first page to the last. Stephanie Perkins has an amazing way with words – a way that I hope to develop some day – and had me in love with St. Clair right alongside Anna. I highly, highly, highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a feel-good love story that has an actual plot and feels realistic. This would be a good book for anyone in high school, though I’m sure college-aged students (like me!) would love it, too.


I GIVE THIS BOOK FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS


The author's comments:
My friend and I are doing a book-exchange now that we're both at college, and this is the one she sent me. I absolutely loved it!