City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | Teen Ink

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

January 15, 2010
By AveryG13 GOLD, Dexter, Michigan
AveryG13 GOLD, Dexter, Michigan
12 articles 1 photo 92 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The best thing to do with the best things in life, is to give them up to those who have nothing."
- Ambrose Bierce


When Clary Fray walked through the entrance of the Pandemonium Club, she had no idea that her life would change at that very moment. At the club, she witnesses the murder of a teenage boy, committed by three teenagers with strange tattoos and unusual weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air, leaving no trace of anything, not even a smear of blood. Then Clary realizes that no one except herself could even see the teenagers. This was Clary's first encounter with the Shadowhunters, warriors who are dedicated to killing all demons on earth. One of these mysterious Shadowhunters, Jace, rescues Clary when she is attacked by a demon after she returned home that night to find that her mother had been kidnapped. From that moment, Clary is swept into Jace's world of mystery, adventure, and magic. With the help of Jace and his adopted siblings, Clary sets out to find the Mortal Cup, hoping that it will help her get her mother back from the evil Shadowhunter, Valentine. Along the way, she learns some hard truths about her life, and realizes that her mother has been hiding these truths from her since she was born.

I extremely enjoyed this fantasy novel by Cassandra Clare, along with the rest of The Mortal Instruments series. Clare's writing is outstanding. She is incredibly descriptive, so I am able to picture the scene in my head as I read. The plot was excellent, the story thrilling. I couldn't put the book down! However, I recommend this book to older teenagers, because there is quite a bit of descriptive violence. If you read and enjoy City of Bones, I recommend you read the other two books in The Mortal Instruments series, along with other books Clare has written. City of Bones gets a 10/10 from me!