Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri | Teen Ink

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

By thebookthief SILVER, Evanston, Illinois
thebookthief SILVER, Evanston, Illinois

"Interpreter of Maladies" is an in-depth book comprised of short-stories told from the vantage point of Indian-Americans in today’s society. Lahiri shifts from awkward newlyweds united under the Indian custom of an arranged marriage to a tortured man watching his native country, where his family resides, erupting in an explosion of violence. The reader gains a greater perspective for what obstacles Indian-Americans must overcome. Lahiri portrays these stories with such an unassuming and eloquent voice, it’s incredible.

In my personal opinion, many of the short-stories ended incomplete. With this incompleteness came the sense of having the sheets ripped off of you in the morning, only to be greeted by cold shivers. And although this sensation swelled up inside of me several times, I found I was content. I discovered that as I stepped out of bed I was not greeted by those cold shivers, but instead I was greeted by indifferent warmth. The stories’ incompleteness made "Interpreter of Maladies" all the more complete.