The Handmaid's Tale | Teen Ink

The Handmaid's Tale MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

I found The Handmaid's Tale a warning of what a free society could become ifreligious zealots were to take over.

In the future, a young woman uses hermind to fight back against a government that has taken her husband, her child andeven her name. Renamed Offred, she becomes the release and hope for continuityfor one man and the secret love of another.

I recommend this book toanyone who has ever contemplated, or feared, an alternate reality where women arenot allowed to read, work or control what happens to their own bodies. This bookis not for those who cannot read beyond what is on the page and put themselves inthe position of the heroine. This book will not make you happy, but it will makeyou think.

Every woman should read it. There are many women who liveunder the same persecution of The Handmaid's Tale, and this story makes yourealize that this fate is not impossible.

The book is sometimes choppy,but resembles the way people actually think. It could have been written a bitless erratically with more descriptions, but the mystery of the abrupt endingalso adds to the overall truthfulness and makes the main character seem more likea real person. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys thinking about what couldbe, or may have been.

i love this !