Book Review: To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo | Teen Ink

Book Review: To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo

By Amina43-0953 GOLD, Tirana, Other
Amina43-0953 GOLD, Tirana, Other

To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo is one of the best novels I have read in a while. It’s an interesting take on “The Little Mermaid,” which takes the ordinary fairy tale storyline and takes it to a whole other level, with themes of adventure, found family, betrayal, and romance. This book has everything you need from a fantasy standalone, such as strong characters, witty banter, magical plot, brutal action, and a happy ending.  
A retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s “Little Mermaid,” this novel reimagines Ariel as a cruel and bloodthirsty siren, who collects the hearts of the men she drowns. This book follows two main characters who couldn’t be more different. Lira is the daughter of the Siren Queen. She has been trained from birth to be brutal, bloodthirsty, and utterly devoid of emotion. Every year, she seduces a prince with her siren song and takes his heart, storing it under the sand. However, she displeases her mother one day. As punishment, she is transformed into what the sirens despise most: a human. Without her skills or her siren song, she has to steal Prince Elian’s heart, or never return to her kingdom. Elian never wanted to be a prince. He feels most at home when he sails the seven seas with his loyal crew, hunting the biggest threat to mankind, the sirens. Everything goes smoothly until he finds a redheaded girl floating in the middle of the sea, who promises that she can help him find a way to kill all sirens, once and for all. But can he trust her? 
I believe that there are several reasons why this novel is a must-read. There is a compelling, 3-dimensional anti-hero main character with an amazing redemption ark and an intriguing plot with fantasy elements. Lastly, it is a unique spin on a classical fairytale, a detail that ties everything together. 
Without a doubt, Lira is the best character in this book. Both her personality and her character arc contribute to this, as she grows and changes and becomes a three-dimensional character. She is tough, merciless, ruthless, and cruel-hearted, always trying to be the villain. However, her true personality shows through the cracks when those she loves are threatened. Then, she becomes protective, loyal, kind, and bravehearted. As she meets Elian, she shows a desire to live her life and falls in love with him, which leads to her full redemption ark, as she shows a want to protect all that’s good in the world. 
Secondly, this book has more than just characters: the plot is also fantastic and intriguing. Their journey takes the characters through several kingdoms as they, guided by Lira, seek the second Eye of Keto to prevent the Siren Queen from seizing too much power. From Midas, the kingdom of gold, to the entrancing and mysterious Diávolos sea, and to the deadly Cloud Mountain, Lira, Elian, and his crew travel through many different places in their quest. They battle pirates, climb mountains, hunt sacred objects, travel the seven seas and much more on their journey, which helps them build friendships and lifelong trust.  
Lastly, this book is a clever adaption of ‘The Little Mermaid.’ It keeps the original plot line of a mermaid, or siren’s forbidden love with an earthly prince, and how she must make him fall in love with her as a human, without her voice. This book changes some things though, which helps improve the story. Lira doesn’t fall in love with Elian at first sight and give up everything to be with him; she is banished by her ruthless mother and given a mission to kill him. Also, their romance is only a small subplot and less important compared to their quest. The fact that they come from different backgrounds, and each have the intention of killing the other adds to the love story, as they overcome all odds and grow as people to be together. Critics have argued that the plot is too simplistic and predictable, but that is in fact the beauty of this novel. An easy-to-follow yet exciting and engaging story that leaves more space for the characters to grow and change, while still staying true to its fairytale roots. 
To Kill a Kingdom will undoubtedly be one of the best books you read this year. It is a sea-faring adventure novel with pirates, sirens, magic, and more. With intense action, sweeping romance, engaging plot, and strong characters, it is a novel that will be very hard to put down.

on Apr. 3 at 11:08 am
EmileSegarra GOLD, Pernes Les Fontaines, Other
Very nice detailed review!

Irda SILVER said...
on Apr. 3 at 2:37 am
Irda SILVER, Tirana, Other
This review is so well-written, and you make the book seem amazing. I will read this!