Why You Should Read The Hunger Games | Teen Ink

Why You Should Read The Hunger Games

By maxinezahler GOLD, Long Branch, New Jersey
maxinezahler GOLD, Long Branch, New Jersey

The quintessential YA dystopian series of the 2000s is, without a doubt, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This worldwide sensation captured the heart of 4th-grade me and imprinted the dynamic characters, compelling plot, and earth-shattering twists into my psyche; “The Hanging Tree” is stuck in my head constantly. Every few years I reread this series and I’m reminded of Collins’ mastery; impressing tiny me was great, but impressing current me–with more literary knowledge–proves the timelessness and reach of the story.

You’re immersed in the setting from the get-go. You open up the book to the brave Katniss Everdeen who must survive in District 12: a poor, life-less district of coal miners and hunched shoulders of the divided Panem. Already we are introduced to the Capitol’s oppression and the consequences of war, two major themes portrayed in the novels, without telling the reader about the reaping yet. And as you meet the cast of characters, you begin to empathize with them. Katniss and all the characters feel real, from ruthless Cato to innocent Rue, and with the prequel in mind (The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes), even President Snow is layered. 

Katniss is a hero, not because she is perfect, but because she overcomes the conflict thrown her way with intelligence and compassion. She does everything in her power to stick to her morals while saving the people she loves–you can’t help but root for the Girl on Fire. But she is not just an independent feminist icon who overcomes everything thrown her way; she makes mistakes and her emotions are raw. She is the epitome of a dynamic, well-written character. Others like Peeta, Haymitch, and Effie are standouts when considering quality character writing. Characters like that suck you into the story and take you through all the emotions of what it’s like under President Snow’s rule. As for me, I love Cinna–he makes the most fabulous gowns!--and Finnick, who is introduced later in the series. 

The Capitol is a technological utopia that sits upon a brutal dystopia. It exploits the lower districts for food and money; all the while, they don’t provide in return. The Hunger Games is the utmost cruelty. It reminds the districts of their lack of power as a consequence of an uprising most deserved, and they do this by killing their children for live entertainment. What’s more upsetting is that they have those destitute families consider entering their children multiple times if they want more food. Witnessing our favorite characters being abused by the villain, which is not only President Snow but the system itself, teaches the reader the dangers of a totalitarian government. Kids don’t even know what “Totalitarian” means! 

Collins presents those horrors in a digestible format–it is important to note that although the gore is mild, it is extremely violent. It also contains depression, PTSD, abuse, and (obviously) death. I would not recommend this series if you are sensitive to those topics or younger than 12 years old. However, if you proceed, you will surely not be disappointed with this certified classic.

This was a book recommendation written for my local library. Shoutout to Tara and Anya!

on Feb. 10 at 5:42 pm
On_A_Journey SILVER, Sparks, Nevada

Not all those who wander are lost- J.R.R Tolkien

I love The Hunger Games! Me and my older brother finally let our younger brother read it, and he really liked it! (He's 11) Although, the first one is definitely the best.