The Great Gatsby book review | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby book review

July 30, 2023
By Andrewhan11 PLATINUM, Jericho, New York
Andrewhan11 PLATINUM, Jericho, New York
29 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We usually tend to think that rich people live a perfect life where they have nothing to worry about. However, the novel The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald unveils the hidden side of the rich life and how wealthy people have their own struggles and problems. It is a touching story about love, adventure, and the famous American Dream.

 

As far as the story itself, the actions take place in New York City, specifically in the town of West Egg, Long Island. There, Nick the narrator, meets the main character Mr. Gatsby along some other upper-class people. Nick, being originally from Midwest, quickly gets involved in the energetic and busy life of his neighbors. After Nick dives deeper into their lives, he understands the hidden life of the wealthy, witnessing the decadence, the decay of the Jazz Age, and the sad truth about the American Dream.

 

All the events in this novel are happening over a relatively short period of time, which makes the narrative very detailed and lively. Scott Fitzgerald paints vivid pictures of the rich life, enormous mansions, and the various parties held by Jay Gatsby. By including different symbolisms and metaphors, Fitzgerald makes it possible for readers to see the story’s images in front of their eyes without any blur. Not a single word seems to be wasted and every sentence is carefully crafted. It feels like if it was written any differently, the novel wouldn’t sound that “American”. Of course, this is something hard to explain, and everyone should experience it on their own.

 

Some of the main themes of this masterpiece are love, boundaries between illusion and reality, as well as innocence. Through Gatsby’s endless love and obsession with Daisy, the novel explores the power of love as well as its destructive forces, because in the end, the story ends in multiple deaths. This is also where Fitzgerald sets the boundaries between reality and dreams as death brings everyone, including Nick, back to the reality of the situation. Moreover, there is a contrast between the outside and inside of the main character Jay Gatsby. From the outside, he is a wealthy self-made man who can afford nearly anything he wants and throws lavish parties for his neighbors every week. However, on the inside this man is a lonely and has feelings for a person that may never be returned. This creates a sense of tragedy for the reader.

 

One other thing I love about The Great Gatsby is how each character represents a part of the so-called American Dream. Gatsby, with his longing for Daisy, represents the endless pursuit for wealth and status. On the other hand, Daisy embodies the emptiness of life that is based on material possessions. The personality of Tom Buchanan, another main character, reminds us about all the corruption that might accompany wealth.

 

In my opinion, it is truly unbelievable how the author was able to represent a whole era and culture in one book. Every generation can find something interesting and learn a lesson from this novel. It also explores different kinds of complexities of human nature and relationships. It is truly a timeless classic.

 

In conclusion, I believe The Great Gatsby is a must read for no matter what generation. The different characters and events make this novel thought provoking and catchy to the eyes. It doesn’t let the reader put this book down, perhaps becoming the best book ever for someone who wants to take a glimpse at an era that is long past but still relates to the present time.