Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch report | Teen Ink

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch report

June 1, 2023
By Andrewhan11 PLATINUM, Jericho, New York
Andrewhan11 PLATINUM, Jericho, New York
29 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Consider asking a simple question: Can one change his predetermined destiny? The answer to this question might come to your mind instantly as you think it’s extremely obvious; however, the 1990 novel written as a collaboration between the English authors Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch proves that the true answers to this question might be far more complicated.

There are three main characters in the novel: Aziraphale, Crowley, and Adam. Aziraphale is an angel sent by heaven that has been living on Earth since its creation. Together with Aziraphale, Crowley, the devil sent by hell, has been living on Earth since the first day as well. Adam is an ordinary 11- year-old boy who lives in Tadfield with his parents. However, later we find out that he had his destiny planned out before he was even born.

Speaking of destiny, let’s start with answering the question. Predetermination and destiny are some of the big themes in the novel because we get to know that each character sort of has his own mission on Earth, and it seems like their futures have been planned out beforehand. Adam, for example, thinks he is just an ordinary teenage boy, but the little does he know is that he actually is the son of the devil himself, Armageddon, and he is destined to help to end the humanity on Earth. Aziraphale and Crowley are sort of agents or workers sent to Earth by heaven and hell to prepare for the so-called “Ineffable Plan” which is the God's plan for Earth. According to the Bible, this plan ends with Armageddon and the final fall of humanity. Crowley is supposed to do evil things, and Aziraphale do good things.

So can someone change his destiny even if it was planned by the God or Devil himself? The answer to that question according to the novel is yes. Both Aziraphale and Crowley have clear destinies and missions. They are supposed to look forward to the end of the humanity since it will mean that both of them have done their assigned job. However, they have lived on Earth for so long all the way to the modern days that they started to like the life on Earth as “humans.”

I have been using the word “they” to describe Aziraphale and Crowley even though they and their fates are drastically different. I did that for a reason. Over all the centuries that they live on Earth together, Aziraphale and Crowley get used to each other and even become friends. In the end they are more similar to each other than to their co-angels or co-devils. It is pretty ironic since they were supposed to be enemies and fight each other. The words “were supposed to be” already indicates that they changed something. They even often help each other and tell each other what their job is. After they get used to the comfortable life on Earth, they don’t even want to see the “Ineffable Plan” to succeed and humanity to end since that means their comfortable lives will end as well.

In the beginning of the book when hell sends Crowley Adam, who is a baby at that time, they expect Crowley to deliver that baby to the family of an American official so the evil influence will be larger when Adam grows up. However the nurses at the hospital make a mistake during the switch, and Adam grows up in a regular family in the countryside of London. Since Crowley and Aziraphale want to stop the “Ineffable Plan” from happening to preserve their current lifestyles, they decide to team up and try to parent Adam and influence him in a way so he doesn’t become as evil. They eventually succeed in the end, even though they go through some hardships. This is a prime example of how one’s destiny can change. The evil and angel team up to “not do their job.” Can you imagine that? They are doing the exact opposite of what they are not supposed to do. And they just changed what was planned for them by God and Devil themselves. Isn’t that so ironic?

Similarly, Adam goes against his fate as well. Before he is even born, Adam has his whole life planned out. He is supposed to be born in a good family and on his 11th birthday he would be gifted a dog --- then that monstrous dog would help him to end the humanity. He is supposed to be a devil in a human’s body. Instead, he eventually fights the Armageddon himself to stop humanity from ending, yet another example how a character is able to go and change his predetermined destiny.

This is only one of the many themes that are pictured in Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. In conclusion, this book is very ironic, funny, and entertaining at first sight, but when you dig deeper, you will see all the hidden meaning behind the lines. And to truly experience the beauty of this amazing novel, everyone should read it himself.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.