The Story of Achilles: The Selfless Warrior | Teen Ink

The Story of Achilles: The Selfless Warrior

August 23, 2022
By nightsranger PLATINUM, Sevenoaks, Other
nightsranger PLATINUM, Sevenoaks, Other
35 articles 6 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Wanting things you can't have makes you want them more and more, sometimes it's better to let it go...


“Name a hero who was happy.”- Chapter 10. He was a hero for the ages and the eternal companion of Achilles. The Song of Achilles tells the story of Patroclus.  
 
Born to King Menoetius of Opus, a demanding father, and lacking motherly love, Patroclus’ small frame does not help him in becoming the prince everyone expects him to become. At age ten, Patroclus accidentally kills King Amphidamas' son Clysonymus over a game after being forced to give up his favourite dice. As a result, Patroclus is stripped of his royal title and banished to Phthia to serve as a steward to King Peleus.  
 
Arriving at the unfamiliar island, Patroclus is deeply discouraged by the chatty and outgoing boys around him and longs for home. However, he finds his home in Achilles, striking up an unlikely friendship with the son of King Peleus when he is escaping from a drill session one late afternoon. Patroclus admires Achilles' wit and grace on and off the training grounds, with or without a spear. Upon learning the prophecy of Achilles becoming the greatest warrior of his generation, Patroclus vows to help him to see it happen.  
 
Because of the prophecy, Patroclus and Achilles seek help under Chiron, the most exceptional mentor in the art of fighting. Under his guidance, the young boys learn medicine, discipline, and control of their state of mind. By 16, Achilles is lean and muscular, faster than others, and too clever to be fooled. Unfortunately, news of the great war coming to Greece reaches the boys: the reckless Paris of Troy has stolen the beautiful wife, Helen, of the Greek King Menelaus.  
 
Achilles, urged by the goodwill of Patroclus, accepts the offer of Agamemnon, the brother of Menelaus, to lead the Greek Myrmidons into battle. But then, the second prophecy was told to Achilles, stating that he could only perish after Hector, the brother of Paris and the mightiest warrior of the Trojans. Listening to the prophecy, Achilles’ sea-nymph mother, Thetis, was afraid for her son's safety and tried to persuade him to stay put. Unwavered by his ambition of becoming a great warrior and under the influence of Patroclus, Achilles comforts his mother and heads to Troy.  
 
Throughout the novel, Patroclus is presented as a selfless figure, always rooting for the better of others. This trait is emphasized by his actions when he arrives in Troy.  
 
Patroclus cannot fight, so he occupies himself treating men wounded on the battlefield. He is gentle with his words, and under Chiron’s mentoring so long ago, “I developed a reputation, a standing in the camp. I was asked for, known for my quick hands and how little pain I caused”. Patroclus' fame soon reaches the highest of commanders and is even acknowledged by Menelaus, who often comes to treat his headaches, making Patroclus a well-loved man in the camp.  
 
Another representation of Patroclus’ figure was through Briseis. She is a teenage girl stolen from a Trojan family by Achilles and the Myrmidons. Like many other beautiful girls, Briseis was named a war prize for the bravest of soldiers. Patroclus, who cannot bear seeing young women abused like prostitutes by brutal men around the camp, urges Achilles to take her for himself so he can take care of her. Under the careful guidance of Patroclus, Briseis starts to learn Greek and fit in with the rest of the men and women. As the war rages on, Patroclus finds himself spending more and more time with Briseis, even teaching her the secrets of his medicine.  
 
After nine years of constant war, the people become anxious and distressed. There are outbreaks every day of disgruntled fights, and the last straw comes when an unknown sickness spreads through the camp. Achilles steps to the podium, confronting Agamemnon about his hand in the disaster, only to be shamed by the cries of his people. Agamemnon adds insult to injury by taking Achilles’ war prize, Briseis, into his custody, thinking of raping her. Patroclus, however, cannot bear to see Briseis shamed like that and begs for her to be unharmed. For Briseis’ safety, Patroclus tells Agamemnon that shaming her would only turn the people against him, as that would be taking a step too far against the hero Achilles. After learning what Patroclus has happened, Achilles was enraged, but seeing as his friend has done a good deed to save a fellow companion, he forgives him. This betrayal leads him to refuse to fight for Agamemnon, unless Achilles he receives an apology.  
 
With Achilles not fighting, and the Greeks suffered loss after loss. Seeing his Myrmidons on the verge of total defeat, Achilles still cannot bring himself to forgive Agamemnon’s shame. Therefore, Patroclus steps in and offers to fight with Achilles’ armour so the Greeks can have hope again. Once Patroclus, who is by no means a skilled warrior, steps on the battlefield, the tide turns, as people believe that their Aristos Achaion is back amongst their ranks. With his newfound courage, Patroclus leads the men to the Trojan wall and attempts to scale the top. However, Hector strikes him down. Risking his life for many others, Patroclus will be remembered, in my opinion, for his bravery and wit. 
 
Achilles, hearing of the death of his dearest companion, goes on a mad rampage, slaying Hector before plunging to his death there on after as the prophecy entails. The graves of Patroclus and Achilles lie side-by-side on the beaches of Troy, and they will lie there forever more.  
 
I really loved this book for its character description of Patroclus and Achilles and of romance. I highly recommend it for Ancient History lovers and romantics!  


The author's comments:

I really loved this piece, and it was a truly different kind of love story to what I was used to. Patroclus is a name that went under the radar because of Achilles' fame, and in a way, if it was not for him, Achilles may have never fought in Troy!