Aristotle and Dante Book Summary | Teen Ink

Aristotle and Dante Book Summary

August 12, 2022
By vql BRONZE, Barrington, Rhode Island
vql BRONZE, Barrington, Rhode Island
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In the novel Dante and Aristotle Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, the recurring theme of self-acceptance becomes more and more prominent as the plot progresses. The novel takes place in 1987 and follows the growth of Aristotle, commonly referred to as Ari, and his new friend, Dante, over two to three years. With his brother in prison, and his dad, who closed himself off after returning from military service, Aristotle comes from a complicated family he dislikes discussing. On the other hand, Dante comes from a loving family with parents who adore and accept him for who he is. The difference between these two families and their separate upbringings comes to be a point of tension between them. Both eventually must learn how to overcome and accept their differences, tying back to the overarching theme of self-acceptance. The novel begins when Aristotle, the narrator, meets Dante at the pool, and they begin to form a complex type of friendship throughout the summer. The reader quickly learns that although Dante and Ari become good friends, one could say that they’re complete opposites. Ari, burdened with his parents' guilt for his jailed brother's actions, is a loner and seems to be constantly angry at the world. 

Meanwhile, Dante is the opposite: outgoing, an artist, and a literature lover. As the summer progresses, both boys begin to mature toward each other, and the plot continues to heighten as the two each start to coax the other into opening up. However, the relationship between the two becomes more complex when Ari commits a selfless act and saves Dante from an incoming car, breaking both of his legs to save Dante’s life. This heroic moment creates a subtle tension between the two as Ari is left on his own in the hospital to navigate the steps of accepting his anger and opening up to others a bit more. When the summer comes to an end, the two separate for a year as Dante leaves with his family for Chicago. While the two are separated, they keep in touch through letters, and during Dante’s time in Chicago, it doesn’t take long for him to discover that he’s gay. For Dante, accepting his sexual identity proves easy as Aristotle is already comfortable in his skin. However, Aristotle has difficulty coming to terms with his sexuality, and when Dante convinces him to kiss him, he becomes irritated. As they spend their second summer together, Ari and Dante maneuver their way through their fair share of life lessons. Eventually, Ari comes to terms with his parents about his brother Bernardo’s imprisonment. This moment becomes a turning point for Aristotle, and light begins to shed upon who he is, what he wants to do, and what completes him. The novel comes to a close when Ari can accept his sexuality and finally acknowledges his feelings for Dante instead of pushing them away with the rest of his problems.