Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow | Teen Ink

Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow MAG

By ssoma BRONZE, Mount Laurel, New Jersey
ssoma BRONZE, Mount Laurel, New Jersey

Morrigan Crow is a fairly normal girl, trying to navigate her frankly boring life as best as possible. But there’s a little hitch in her plan; She was born on Eventide, the unluckiest day for any child to be born. This makes her Cursed, and everyone blames all their struggles and misfortunes on her very existence. Even worse, she’s doomed to die on her 12th birthday! As she awaits her certain doom, she is suddenly surprised by a visit from the eccentric Jupiter North, who whisks her away from her awful family (good riddance) and saves her life. He takes her to the magical city of Nevermoor, which is vibrant and full of life. Morrigan discovers that she was brought here by Jupiter to contend for a place in the city’s most prestigious organization. In order to get in, she must compete against hundreds of the city’s most magical and special children. If she fails, she’ll have to leave the city forever, and face her deadly fate. But what exactly makes Morrigan so special? Is it her curse? Or something else?

I bought this book on a whim, and it was probably one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. This book captures the wonderful whimsy of Harry Potter, while still having the tense action scenes that you’d find in the Percy Jackson series. The plot is fresh and interesting, and it leaves you wanting more after every page. 

The thing that sets this book apart from the rest is the fantastical world-building. The city of Nevermoor is fleshed out as the story progresses, and every new detail makes the fictional city seem more and more real. Jessica Townsend has created a wonderful and original world that somehow feels familiar and cozy at the same time. The lore of Nevermoor contributes to its world-building. Its history feels just as much a component of the city as the buildings and streets themselves. The world-building creates a luscious scenery that you just fall into.  

Jessica Townsend has also crafted a fascinating plot and interesting characters to get invested in. Morrigan, the protagonist, is snarky and curious, and immensely relatable. She’s the type of person you’d like to root for, from beginning to end. The cast is assembled from a strange selection of creatures, from dragon riders to talking cats, each of them strange and whimsical in their own special way, and with their own secrets. Learning more about each of these characters and how they are incorporated into the story is what made it enjoyable to me. 

I got this book when I was 10 years old, but I still enjoy rereading it to this day. This is because the writing style is unique in the way that it paints out the descriptions of the scenery and the emotions of the characters, while still being light-hearted and funny. This allows the reader to enjoy the overall plot and humor, while still being able to appreciate the world-building and depth.

This book is the type that you get lost in, the type that fills your brain up with that kind of whimsical happiness. It’s the type of book you read under the covers with a flashlight. It's magical and fun, perfect for people of all ages. It's a book I've reread many times before, and a book I plan to keep on rereading.

This is one of my favorite fantasy novels!

HermioneGranger_estbay BRONZE, Wagga Wagga, Other

'We are as strong as we are united, weak as we are divided'
-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I Loved Nevermoor as well. I got the next 2 books