Reflection for the Interpreter of Maladies | Teen Ink

Reflection for the Interpreter of Maladies

By Johntan BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
Johntan BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts

The Interpreter of Maladies is a series of short stories written by Jhumpa Lahiri in 1999. Throughout the whole book, the author introduces us to nine short stories that are nothing special and are present to us in daily life. Throughout the series, one important theme is marriage; within this theme, some stories depict the marriage of two who are too familiar with each other and choose to neglect each other in their life while some stories depict a marriage in which both never talk.

Out of all of the nine selections, the last story, The Third and Final Continent left a particularly large impression on me. The story was depicted from a first-person point of view, who wrote about the author moving from India to London and then to America. In this story, the author writes about his attuned change after noting the old women from who he rented an apartment. In the beginning, he only heard rigid, and strange talking, but six weeks later he could predicate everything the old ladies would do. It is also from the old ladies that he found he should pay attention to his Indian wife, who he had never talk with formally. Their words stuck with him as he carried them through his everyday life, and thus he “falls in love with his wife” all over again.