Black Beauty | Teen Ink

Black Beauty

June 14, 2021
By Godala PLATINUM, Durgapur, Other
Godala PLATINUM, Durgapur, Other
36 articles 1 photo 1 comment


Black Beauty is one of the most adored children's classics. It was written in 1877 by Anna Sewell. It is one of the top ten best-selling children's classics. This book follows the life story of a black male horse call Black Beauty. It is a pioneering work in Animal Autobiographical fiction.


This book begins when Black Beauty was still a colt on a beautiful English farm with his mother. Black Beauty's first Master, Farmer Grey, was one of the kindest people he ever meets. Beauty is trained and sold off to Britwick Park, where the possessors are very kind. There he meets a female horse called Ginger who had an awful past of barbarous treatment. She doesn’t like to trust anyone quickly and tries to attack everyone who comes near her. Ginger and Beauty soon become very good friends, after few days the master Douglas Gordon’s wife gets sick and they plan to shift out of Britwick. So, they sell Beauty and Ginger off to earl of W, who is a friend of Squire Gordon. Here due to alcoholic groom Reuben Smith, Beauty gets sick and unable to care for a traumatized horse, Earl of W sells Beauty to a livery stable and Ginger and Beauty get separated.


At livery stable Beauty gets hired by different people and a customer likes Beauty and makes a friend buy Beauty. Mr.Barry, the new owner is good but is ignorant of horses. Beauty falls ill due to Mr. Barry`s Ignorance. Irritated with the situation, Mr. Barry decides to sell Beauty. A very kind-hearted driver called Mr. Jerry Barker buys Beauty. Although the work is hard Beauty never feels loved more than at Jerry Barker's.


One day during work Beauty notices a horse almost dying due to overwork and finds that it is none other than Ginger. Due to long working hours and cold weather, Jerry gets sick and sells Beauty to baker Steven. Beauty gets sick because of overwork and gets sold again. A boy, Willie, requests his grandfather Mr.Thoroughgood, a kind farmer, to buy Beauty and tells that Beauty can be nursed back to health. After getting well Beauty is sold to The three ladies, Miss Blome field, Miss Ellen, and Miss Lavinia where Beauty meets Joe Green who formerly worked at Squire Gordon’s. This is Beauty‘s final home.


Author Anna Sewell`s only novel has charmed the hearts of youngsters and adults with the kindness and cruelty of its characters. Anna Sewell was sick most of her life. She fell down when she was young and injured her leg. For long distances, she used to take the help of a horse carriage. This is where she got her love of horses from. She keenly observed how people treated horses. This book is full of morals, every chapter is full of morals. It has been said that this novel’s impact helped the horses in getting better treatment. It criticized some cruel practices like wearing reins, Blinkers, and docking. This book contains words flowing out of the horse`s heart. Since the beginning, different animals have assisted us in different ways. But in return, they have been brutally abused for all they gave us. We deprive them of their natural circumstances and make them do various things which they are not naturally meant to do. In my opinion, we humans have no right to make their life miserable. We should be kind enough to at least not snatch their basic needs from them. Let us try to be kind to animals.


The author's comments:

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."