Dry | Teen Ink

Dry

May 17, 2019
By IanL4 BRONZE, Warson Woods, Missouri
IanL4 BRONZE, Warson Woods, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


“How long will you go for the last drop of water.” When the California drought runs the river dry, Alyssa is forced to make life and death decisions.

The Tap-Out, as everyone calls it, has been going on for a while now. Everyone’s lives have become an endless list of can't: can’t water the lawn, can't water the plants, can't take long showers and can't wash the car. When the taps run dry the only thing that matters is water - nothing else.

Suddenly, Alyssa’s quiet neighborhood street spirals into a warzone of water zombies; neighbors and families turned against each other on the hunt for water. When her parents don’t return and her family’s life is threatened, Alyssa has to make impossible choices if she’s going to survive with the help of a neighbor. They travel down the beach and find thousands of cell phones just lying out on the beach. As they’re running back to their homes a couple of kids try to jump them, but out of nowhere a random teen saves them, and decide to join him. As they get back to the neighborhood, they realize that they’re all going to have to stay at Kyle’s house. The only problem is that Kyle’s dad doesn't like sharing. Will they get the survive the week?

This book deals with powerful emotions and a strong idea of something that may happen in the future. Alyssa has to make life or death decisions for they can survive. Sometimes it seems like there always in a life or death situation, but it adds to the intense. Ultimately, though her friends that she made,


The author's comments:

Great book