The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern | Teen Ink

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern MAG

July 11, 2018
By RERobinson BRONZE, West Newton, Massachusetts
RERobinson BRONZE, West Newton, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is a fantasy novel that follows the comings, goings, and adventures of the Cirque des Rêves, or Circus of Dreams, and its cast members. The Cirque des Rêves is a circus like no other, with breathtaking acts, delectable food, and black and white tents that open when the sun sets. But behind its enchanting exterior, something more is brewing in the circus. Two young magicians don’t know it, but they have been set against each other in a mysterious game of life or death. However, it’s love that fills the air instead of competition.

I thought this book was amazing, and it’s definitely a new favorite of mine. Everything about it is lovely – from the vivid world it takes place in, to the plot, and the prose. The pace of this book is very slow, but there’s a sense of mystery strung throughout that keeps tugging the reader along. The storytelling is subtle and elegant, and the writing style is poetic and enchanting – which added such a unique atmosphere to the book. While reading it, I truly felt transported into the world of The Night Circus. I could envision every stripe, star, and rose that Morgenstern so effortlessly brought to life with her prose. Throughout the novel, it’s hard to entirely grasp what’s going on, but in the best way possible. It adds to the allure that makes the book so unique. The story requires the reader to pay the utmost attention to the tiniest details, and connect the dots between different storylines. Even now that I’ve finished the book, there’s still a sense of mystery to it. I definitely want to read it again to fully absorb the story and see if there’s anything I’ve missed.

Even though this book is amazing, there are a few things that I didn’t like about it. For one, Celia and Marco – the two magicians competing against each other – have a relationship that seems to spring suddenly into place. It didn’t develop much throughout the novel even though it takes place over several years. It would have been nice to see more growth there. In addition, the personalities of the characters were sometimes hard to discern. We as readers don’t get to go inside their heads and really feel their thoughts and emotions. I think that it’s a stylistic choice that works extremely well with the narrative, but leaves something to be desired. I would have liked Celia and Marco’s relationship more if I had understood who they were as people.

Overall, this book is unlike anything I’ve ever read, and is truly a fantastic read. I would recommend it highly to lovers of fantasy, romance, or mystery.


The author's comments:

I love reading YA and adult fiction, and some of my favorite genres include fantasy, distopian, and realistic fiction. This book came out six years ago, so I wanted to write this review to call people's attention to it.