Online Student Resources: A.P. Notes | Teen Ink

Online Student Resources: A.P. Notes

By olivia.ashley BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
olivia.ashley BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Enrolled in United States History Advanced Placement 1 or 2? Having a hard time doing well on tests and quizzes because of lengthy textbook chapters? A great resource for helping to compile the usually tedious, long-winded chapter in ‘The American Pageant’ textbook is a website called ‘AP Notes’, which can be found at the domain ‘apnotes.net’.  On the website, all of the key information from each chapter in the textbook is summarized into a neat and precise outline, which is very beneficial for preparing for an assessment.  Whether it be for a quiz or test, trying to memorize up to thirty exhausting pages of text in one night simply cannot be done.  Not many people can efficiently process and remember tens of pages of details that the textbook chapters consists of, which is why A.P. Notes is such an amazing resource.  Every key point in the chapter is noted, without any of the seemingly meaningless details, such as the lengthy and unnecessary description of George Washington’s appearance, “His presence was imposing: 6 feet 2 inches, 175 pounds, broad and sloping shoulders, strongly pointed chin, and pockmarks (from smallpox) on nose and cheeks” (The American Pageant Advanced Placement Thirteenth Edition Textbook, Page 191). The clear chapter summaries are great tools for trying to receive an overall understanding of American history.
    A

side from the concise fortytwo chapter summaries apnotes.net has created, it also offers many other beneficial resources for students taking United States History A.P..  For example, it has a web page that has a list of United States presidents, starting from George Washington, all the way to present-day president, Barack Obama.  Alongside this list, all the important facts corresponding to each president are listed as well.  This is an excellent resource for ensuring student know the basics and most critical details about each political leader. 

Another resource that A.P. Notes offers is a list of links to beneficial history sources.  There is a forum that students can access and use to ask questions pertaining to any event in United States history.  On the forum, students can help each other by answering their questions, and share their wealth of knowledge that they have accumulated through each of their history classes.  The forum also has a page for D.B.Q.s, or Document Based Questions, that can help students work on writing a concise, accurate research paper. Nearly every student enrolled in a high school level history course will have to write a D.B.Q., so this webpage is an essential resource for students writing papers on something pertaining to United States history.

American Pageant Notes has a link to course descriptions as well, so students can see the overall curriculum for the Advanced Placement United States History courses.  Although the curriculum will vary from school to school, it is the same overall material provided on the webpage.  It also informs the student of the possible career areas and college majors they can choose by taking A.P. U.S. 1 and 2.  One of the websites most useful resources is the link to take practice tests for each chapter of the textbook.  Each consisting of about thirty questions, they are a great way for students to check their knowledge before taking their actual tests. 

To sum up and help United States History Advanced Placement students finish preparing for their final exam, apnotes.net also has two links to books that can really help with preparation.  One of the books is the 2006 A.P. United States History test that has been released.  The book can be purchased for $30 and contains multiple choice questions and answers, as well as explaining the scoring of the test.  It also has actual open-ended responses that students wrote as their answers, and then the book shows the way each response was graded.  Although the final exam for students currently enrolled in United States History Advanced Placement will be a renewed version, the 2006 version is still an excellent way to prepare.  Another book kids can find in the A.P. Notes ‘Links’ section is a guide to breaking down the final exam.  Being from 2013, it is more recent and helpful to students currently enrolled in the course.  It aids students in the proper way to approach and study for the test, which is definitely useful.  It also comes with two in-depth practice tests for the reader to take.  These resources are extremely beneficial to students taking A.P. United States History.

In conclusion, apnotes.net is an amazing resource for students enrolled in the Advanced Placement United States History course.  With concise chapter summaries and links to various helpful resources, the reliable web page is a great way for students to prepare for their tests throughout the year, as well as the final exam.

kerrymbrennan BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
I agree! This website is the lifeboat for me drowning in APUSH :)