Button, Button by Richard | Teen Ink

Button, Button by Richard

By Dynamo DIAMOND, Lahore, Other
Dynamo DIAMOND, Lahore, Other

I used to think falling in love would be personal. But it's all a big public show.

The title of the classical short story, flowing from the pen of M, is a suggestion of the fact pertaining to the ongoing thought process that the idea of pushing the button must be buttoned.

The story, written in a lucid and appealing manner, is Psychoanalysis of the depths man can sink to, merely to fulfill the abominable desires of The Self. The author has summed all his erudition in one piece that has been described as the “hallmark of ingenuity”. His skill in creating plots that offer a closer view of the cognitive yet evil thoughts breeding in the innermost recesses of the mind of the common man is depicted in this analytical survey of the impact of money on human thoughts. The author explains how man, for the attainment of money for corporeal cravings, commits avaricious and ignoble deeds which even Satan abhors; such is the egregiousness with which they are associated. He forgets that every deed is reciprocated. When the thing, for which he sacrifices his urbanity and self-esteem, bites him back, stings him on the nose, and steals his most precious gift, he realizes, only too late, what a formidable and horrendous chase he has been following, that will ultimately lead him to hell, the abode of all nefarious sinners.

In the character of Norma, the author in fact describes every single person who is driven by his desires. He enunciates the point: “Self-control is the key to survival; lose it, and you will be banished.” The character of Arthur is a semblance of the man who believes that sooth prevails. The sorry fate Arthur meets in the end is not only meant as a lesson to Norma to rectify her thoughts; it is an indication of the fact that the people who are good always suffer initially. Mr. Steward represents the third unbidden partner in our life, who tries to mislead us to traverse the path of avarice.

Finally, a personal note. This analysis is not meant to act as a superficial impetus. It wants you, the reader, to realize that sometimes in the contemporary lives we lead, mutual understanding may save us from the greater loss. Absorb the truths latent in this story, consult others and you will lead a contented life. Make yourself an object in others hands, and you will suffer like Norma, never being able to summon the pugnacity for repercussion.

This is a review of the short story I wrote in my class. The story really influenced me and had a deep impact on me, so I ventured forth to bring out this review. I hope it is useful for those who want to ameliorate the code pattern of their life.

Tuba427 said...
Tuba427, Pakpattan, Other
Hey, I was looking for a good review on this short story, and I found your article. I am really grateful! I am a teacher at a college. Thanks for this! @dynamo You are from Pakistan as well?

Munawar said...
It is good analysis. But historical,biblical or social backgrounds would be very helpful, if discussed.

The flow of review is so engaging and it rightly describes what has been put forward to us by Mathesan to ponder upon!

shams said...
Very good analysis!

Button Button is a beautiful story. The whole story revolves around it. Norma wants to press it due to her greedness. . Aurthur does not want to do so due to his sober nature. Mr. Stewards works hard to persude other about it. So the writer has succeeded in giving his message that Do not think evil about other. or Greed is curse. Or. He who digs pitch for others falls himself in to it.  

Dynamo DIAMOND said...
Dynamo DIAMOND, Lahore, Other

thats not fair the name was: Button, Button by Richard Matheson, and in the third line its not M but Matheson:(

Dynamo DIAMOND said...
Dynamo DIAMOND, Lahore, Other